Connection Error

surfshack66
Hi - I am able to connect via RDP but after a few seconds I receive an error saying the server took too long to respond.

Here is my nginx reverse proxy config.
server {
        listen 443 ssl;

        root /config/www;
        index index.html index.htm index.php;

        server_name sub1.domain.com;

        ssl_certificate /config/keys/letsencrypt/fullchain.pem;
        ssl_certificate_key /config/keys/letsencrypt/privkey.pem;
        ssl_dhparam /config/nginx/dhparams.pem;
        ssl_prefer_server_ciphers on;

        client_max_body_size 0;

        location / {
# auth_basic "Restricted";
# auth_basic_user_file /config/nginx/.htpasswd;
# include /config/nginx/proxy.conf;
                proxy_pass http://192.168.1.2:8162/;
                proxy_buffering off;
                proxy_http_version 1.1;
                proxy_set_header Upgrade $http_upgrade;
                proxy_set_header Connection $http_connection;
                access_log off;
        }
}

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Re: Connection Error

surfshack66
Anything I can provide to help with the troubleshooting?

Re: Connection Error

On Thu, Aug 17, 2017 at 12:34 PM, surfshack66 <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi - I am able to connect via RDP but after a few seconds I receive an error
saying the server took too long to respond.

Here is my nginx reverse proxy config.

What was the error specifically? Did the error come from Guacamole, or was it an error from Nginx?

Re: Connection Error

surfshack66
The error came from Guacamole

"The connection has been closed because the server is taking too long to respond..."

I'm able to connect, but it disconnects after a few seconds.

Re: Connection Error

Mike Jumper
On Mon, Aug 21, 2017 at 3:20 PM, surfshack66 <[hidden email]> wrote:
The error came from Guacamole

"The connection has been closed because the server is taking too long to
respond..."

I'm able to connect, but it disconnects after a few seconds.

When the connection is established and it has not yet disconnected, do you a remote desktop display, or does the display remain black?

If you see a remote desktop display, does it respond to mouse/keyboard input prior to disconnecting?

Re: Connection Error

surfshack66
Yes, I see a remote desktop display and it does respond to keyboard/mouse input albeit very slow.

Re: Connection Error

Mike Jumper
On Mon, Aug 21, 2017 at 3:30 PM, surfshack66 <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yes, I see a remote desktop display and it does respond to keyboard/mouse
input albeit very slow.

Is there another proxy between your browser and the Nginx proxy in front of Guacamole?

On the machine you're connecting from, do you perchance have antivirus software which intercepts and scans web traffic?

Re: Connection Error

surfshack66
Its a work laptop and I believe there is antivirus software on it but I cannot change any settings. I didnt think that would be a problem considering the domain I use is https with ssl, so it can't scan web traffic?

Re: Connection Error

Mike Jumper
On Mon, Aug 21, 2017 at 4:05 PM, surfshack66 <[hidden email]> wrote:
Its a work laptop and I believe there is antivirus software on it but I
cannot change any settings. I didnt think that would be a problem
considering the domain I use is https with ssl, so it can't scan web
traffic?

While that's true in most cases, it depends on the software used. If the antivirus software implements this scanning via browser extensions, it will likely be able to intercept and meddle with traffic after the browser has handled decryption. It's also not unheard of for corporate proxies to do full-blown man-in-the-middle of all SSL connections, relying on their own root certificate having been installed on all employees' computers.

Do you see the same issue when using a non-work laptop without such software present?

Re: Connection Error

surfshack66
This post was updated on .
I do not see the issue on my work laptop if I use a different
(non-work) wireless network. The antivirus/url filtering services were disabled, but
when I was on the corp network I received the same guac error, so it seems
those services weren't the issue.

If the corporate network is interfering with the connection, what options do we have to prevent that?

Sent from: http://apache-guacamole-incubating-users.2363388.n4.nabble.com/

Re: Connection Error

surfshack66
Unfortunately, I'm still having this issue where the connection drops
(receive an error) due to the corporate network interfering. I don't
understand how it could be or what to do now, but any help would be
appreciated as I would love to get this working.

Sent from: http://apache-guacamole-incubating-users.2363388.n4.nabble.com/

Re: Connection Error

vnick
On Wed, Oct 11, 2017 at 10:46 AM, surfshack66 <[hidden email]> wrote:
Unfortunately, I'm still having this issue where the connection drops
(receive an error) due to the corporate network interfering. I don't
understand how it could be or what to do now, but any help would be
appreciated as I would love to get this working.

It's hard to say - it sounds to me like the connection is failing between the Guacamole Server (guacd) and the RDP server, and not between the Guacamole Client and the Guacamole Server.  I'm not certain about that, it's just what I gather from the error you're getting.  I don't know if the Guacamole Server is on the same subnet as the RDP server, or if it's possible for you to move the Guacamole Server "closer" to the RDP server (not physical proximity, just fewer hops/firewalls in between) and see if that helps.  Without knowing what kind of firewalling/filtering is being done across the network, types of links in place, etc., it's going to be hard to pinpoint what's going on.

-Nick