Copy paste clipboard only

robertkwild
Hi all,

Is it possible to use guacamole as a copy paste utility only ie only use it
as a clipboard between different pcs

I mean so you dont vnc or rdp to the pc just have it so it shows the
clipboard

Cheers,
Rob

Re: Copy paste clipboard only

robertkwild
I have dual displays on desk, one is a local pc on one monitor and the other
monitor connects to a multitude of different machines via a kvm matrix so
the monitor thats hooked up to the kvm matrix i press ctrl+numlock to switch
between all the different machines

But theres no way for me to copy paste of the local machines to any of the
machines on the kvm matrix

Have i explained that well enough, sorry not very good

Re: Copy paste clipboard only

vnick

On Thu, May 17, 2018 at 11:09 robertkwild <[hidden email]> wrote:
I have dual displays on desk, one is a local pc on one monitor and the other
monitor connects to a multitude of different machines via a kvm matrix so
the monitor thats hooked up to the kvm matrix i press ctrl+numlock to switch
between all the different machines

But theres no way for me to copy paste of the local machines to any of the
machines on the kvm matrix

Have i explained that well enough, sorry not very good

I believe I understand, but a couple of issues come to mind.  The biggest one is that Guacamole's clipboard integration relies on the remote protocols to function - that is, if you're connecting to a system via RDP, the sync of the remote clipboard from the Guacamole client to the remote desktop system uses the RDP connection.  As far as I know, there's no way to separate the display part of RDP from the clipboard part, so it's not really possible.  With VNC you might be able to do it, although I don't use VNC enough to know if it actually supports clipboard sync, but since connecting to VNC doesn't lock the display, you could connect and send through the keystrokes from the admin machine to VNC while still viewing it on the KVM.

However, I would ask the question: why not just make the second monitor an extension of your desktop and use Guacamole and the appropriate display protocols, and then only revert to the KVM when the machines are not reachable?  This is even easier with IP KVMs ( I'm a huge fan of Raritan!) because you actually don't need the physical console connection to the KVM at all - you can just access the KVM interface via a web browser or client application, and use that second monitor as a desktop extension.  Most of those IP KVMs also support sending text to the remote system, which, while not a full clipboard sync, does allow for easier transmission of long strings of data from the client to the remote system.

In any case, what you're trying to do isn't, to my knowledge, possible - you'd have to find something that could sync only the clipboard between the admin station and the remote systems, and it doesn't really seem like a good use-case for Guacamole.

Re: Copy paste clipboard only

uxes
i think that Guacamole isn’t right way to accomplish your use case, you
should use something that aims to share clipboard, for example
https://www.havefun.cz/projects/haveclip/