Disable Automatic Reconnect

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Disable Automatic Reconnect

amystewart
This post has NOT been accepted by the mailing list yet.
I know that this question was asked recently (http://apache-guacamole-incubating-users.2363388.n4.nabble.com/Disable-Auto-Reconnect-td1168.html) however, the situation at my company is different.  We have a very dynamic environment, with users all over the world reserving time to use our servers.  A student may be assigned server xyz, use it for 3 hours, then later that same day another student will be assigned server xyz.  With the automatic reconnect enabled, if student 1 does not close the browser window that he/she used to connect to server xyz, as soon as server xyz comes online again, his/her browser will automatically reconnect.  So when student 2 tries to connect to that server, he/she kicks off student 1, who then automatically reconnects, kicking off student 2, who then automatically reconnects, kicking off student 1, who then automatically reconnects, etc... It is a cycle that we can break free from.  The two students continue to kick each other off until someone closes their browser window, basically.  We have tried killing the original session, disabling, then reenabling the user, ending the RDP session on our side, but nothing is working.  The automatic reconnect is affecting many of our users, and we need to disable it or require user input for the reconnect to happen.  Is there a way to do this?
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Disable Automatic Reconnect

Valeriu
The workaround that I found to work was to add two lines of code in the
client source code, then compile and update the guacamole war file in the
tomcat directory.

Follow the steps for building the guacamole client from source code as
stated here
http://guacamole.apache.org/doc/gug/installing-guacamole.html#building-guacamole-client
but before running the "mvn package" command edit the file
guacamole/src/main/webapp/app/client/controllers/clientController.js in a
basic text editor.

In the text file, search for the line containing "// Determine whether the
reconnect countdown applies" and change the next line to be "var countdown =
null;" to disable the auto-reconnect feature.

Next, continue with the steps from the building guide from above.





--
Sent from: http://apache-guacamole-general-user-mailing-list.2363388.n4.nabble.com/
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Disable Automatic Reconnect

vnick
On Sat, Jan 6, 2018 at 8:51 PM, Valeriu <[hidden email]> wrote:
The workaround that I found to work was to add two lines of code in the
client source code, then compile and update the guacamole war file in the
tomcat directory.

Follow the steps for building the guacamole client from source code as
stated here
http://guacamole.apache.org/doc/gug/installing-guacamole.html#building-guacamole-client
but before running the "mvn package" command edit the file
guacamole/src/main/webapp/app/client/controllers/clientController.js in a
basic text editor.

In the text file, search for the line containing "// Determine whether the
reconnect countdown applies" and change the next line to be "var countdown =
null;" to disable the auto-reconnect feature.

I don't recommend doing this, as there are probably situations where it would be better if the auto-reconnect does actually happen.  Completely disabling this behavior, across the entire Guacamole install, for all connections, seems ever so slightly excessive.

With regard to the original post for this issue, there are a couple of things worth noting:
- If you're using release 0.9.13-incubating or older, there is a bug for RDP connections that does not correct take into account why the RDP session ended.  In certain situations this can cause an automatic reconnect when it would not normally happen, which may be contributing to the perception that this feature is not desirable.  I suggest trying either the version in the current git master release, or waiting until 0.9.14 comes out see if that makes the issue any less bothersome.
- There is also a JIRA issue (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GUACAMOLE-360) that deals with how Guacamole deals with a single user trying to start the same session from multiple locations.  This may be of interest, depending on the scenario being discussed.

-Nick
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Disable Automatic Reconnect

Jonathan Hankins
Nick, can you link the bug report for the RDP reconnect bug in 0.9.13-incubating? I originally reported an issue at http://apache-guacamole-general-user-mailing-list.2363388.n4.nabble.com/Need-guidance-with-suspected-auto-reconnect-bug-td2118.html and then found that Frode Langelo's patch at http://apache-guacamole-general-user-mailing-list.2363388.n4.nabble.com/Error-message-when-disconnecting-a-Windows-Server-2012-tp1835p2129.html fixed the issue I was having.

I am curious if this is the bug you referenced and if Frode's patch was the fix incorporated into the codebase.

Thanks,

-Jonathan Hankins

On Sun, Jan 7, 2018 at 1:31 PM Nick Couchman <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sat, Jan 6, 2018 at 8:51 PM, Valeriu <[hidden email]> wrote:
The workaround that I found to work was to add two lines of code in the
client source code, then compile and update the guacamole war file in the
tomcat directory.

Follow the steps for building the guacamole client from source code as
stated here
http://guacamole.apache.org/doc/gug/installing-guacamole.html#building-guacamole-client
but before running the "mvn package" command edit the file
guacamole/src/main/webapp/app/client/controllers/clientController.js in a
basic text editor.

In the text file, search for the line containing "// Determine whether the
reconnect countdown applies" and change the next line to be "var countdown =
null;" to disable the auto-reconnect feature.

I don't recommend doing this, as there are probably situations where it would be better if the auto-reconnect does actually happen.  Completely disabling this behavior, across the entire Guacamole install, for all connections, seems ever so slightly excessive.

With regard to the original post for this issue, there are a couple of things worth noting:
- If you're using release 0.9.13-incubating or older, there is a bug for RDP connections that does not correct take into account why the RDP session ended.  In certain situations this can cause an automatic reconnect when it would not normally happen, which may be contributing to the perception that this feature is not desirable.  I suggest trying either the version in the current git master release, or waiting until 0.9.14 comes out see if that makes the issue any less bothersome.
- There is also a JIRA issue (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GUACAMOLE-360) that deals with how Guacamole deals with a single user trying to start the same session from multiple locations.  This may be of interest, depending on the scenario being discussed.

-Nick

This e-mail is intended only for the recipient and may contain confidential or proprietary information. If you are not the intended recipient, the review, distribution, duplication or retention of this message and its attachments is prohibited. Please notify the sender of this error immediately by reply e-mail, and permanently delete this message and its attachments in any form in which they may have been preserved.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Disable Automatic Reconnect

vnick
On Tue, Jan 9, 2018 at 1:32 PM, Jonathan Hankins <[hidden email]> wrote:
Nick, can you link the bug report for the RDP reconnect bug in 0.9.13-incubating? I originally reported an issue at http://apache-guacamole-general-user-mailing-list.2363388.n4.nabble.com/Need-guidance-with-suspected-auto-reconnect-bug-td2118.html and then found that Frode Langelo's patch at http://apache-guacamole-general-user-mailing-list.2363388.n4.nabble.com/Error-message-when-disconnecting-a-Windows-Server-2012-tp1835p2129.html fixed the issue I was having.

I am curious if this is the bug you referenced and if Frode's patch was the fix incorporated into the codebase.


Okay, does not look like that patch made it into the codebase anywhere.  I'm curious if Mike or Frode have any input on why that would not have been included?

Is there a current JIRA issue out there for this bug?  If not, can you file one for this and reference those discussions and that patch?  It looks like a pretty simple change, so long as it doesn't negatively impact something else, and getting this pushed into the Guacamole Server code should be relatively painless.

-Nick
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Disable Automatic Reconnect

Jonathan Hankins
Nick,

I've filed a bug report for this: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GUACAMOLE-484

-Jonathan Hankins

On Tue, Jan 16, 2018 at 4:37 PM Nick Couchman <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Tue, Jan 9, 2018 at 1:32 PM, Jonathan Hankins <[hidden email]> wrote:
Nick, can you link the bug report for the RDP reconnect bug in 0.9.13-incubating? I originally reported an issue at http://apache-guacamole-general-user-mailing-list.2363388.n4.nabble.com/Need-guidance-with-suspected-auto-reconnect-bug-td2118.html and then found that Frode Langelo's patch at http://apache-guacamole-general-user-mailing-list.2363388.n4.nabble.com/Error-message-when-disconnecting-a-Windows-Server-2012-tp1835p2129.html fixed the issue I was having.

I am curious if this is the bug you referenced and if Frode's patch was the fix incorporated into the codebase.


Okay, does not look like that patch made it into the codebase anywhere.  I'm curious if Mike or Frode have any input on why that would not have been included?

Is there a current JIRA issue out there for this bug?  If not, can you file one for this and reference those discussions and that patch?  It looks like a pretty simple change, so long as it doesn't negatively impact something else, and getting this pushed into the Guacamole Server code should be relatively painless.

-Nick

This e-mail is intended only for the recipient and may contain confidential or proprietary information. If you are not the intended recipient, the review, distribution, duplication or retention of this message and its attachments is prohibited. Please notify the sender of this error immediately by reply e-mail, and permanently delete this message and its attachments in any form in which they may have been preserved.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Disable Automatic Reconnect

vnick
On Thu, Jan 18, 2018 at 5:20 PM, Jonathan Hankins <[hidden email]> wrote:
Nick,

I've filed a bug report for this: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GUACAMOLE-484

-Jonathan Hankins


Great, thank you.  Maybe we can get this patch applied here in the near-future.  If Frode doesn't want to put in the PR, I can do it.

-Nick