Drive shortcut on desktop

Stefan Bogdan Cimpeanu
Hello all,
We’ve received a request in our Guacamole setup to have the user’s mapped drive (we’ve configured for each connection a drive for users to store personal stuff that gets mounted as a drive Z for the RDP connections) as a shortcut on the desktop.
I have no idea how would I be able to do this, given not all connections use such a drive.

Any input would be appreciated.

Cheers!

Re: Drive shortcut on desktop

vnick
On Sun, Jun 14, 2020 at 2:20 PM Stefan Bogdan Cimpeanu <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello all,
We’ve received a request in our Guacamole setup to have the user’s mapped drive (we’ve configured for each connection a drive for users to store personal stuff that gets mounted as a drive Z for the RDP connections) as a shortcut on the desktop.
I have no idea how would I be able to do this, given not all connections use such a drive.

Any input would be appreciated.

Guacamole does not have a way to create a shortcut on the desktop.  Assuming you are running Windows you can use Group Policy to create the shortcut to \\tsclient\Guacamole (or whatever path yours points to).

For Linux (via XRDP, for example) there are ways to do this, too - there are policies for most of the desktop environments that allow for the creation of system-wide shortcuts.

Re: Drive shortcut on desktop

mjumper
Administrator
By the way, a nice trick is to create a shortcut to the special "Download" folder of the Guacamole drive, such that it's included within the Windows Explorer "Send To" option:

You can then easily download files by right-clicking and selecting "Send To" -> "Download".

- Mike

On Sun, Jun 14, 2020 at 12:21 PM Stefan Bogdan Cimpeanu <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Nick,
\\tsclient\Z in my case as shortcut is good enough.
[...]

-Nick