Guacamole 1.2.0 remoteapp connection getting disconnected

Guacamole 1.2.0 remoteapp connection getting disconnected

Tushar Jain
This post was updated on .
Hello,

I migrated from guacamole-1.0.0 to guacamole-1.2.0 on Ubuntu 18.04. But my remoteapp on Windows server 2019,  is getting disconnected as soon as I click/move the mouse over the remote app.

I did the following steps

1.     Ensure all required dependencies are in place for 1.2.0

sudo apt install -y libcairo2-dev libjpeg-turbo8-dev libpng-dev libtool-bin libossp-uuid-dev
Note: It did not accept libpng12-dev as per guacamole manual

sudo apt install -y libavcodec-dev libavformat-dev libavutil-dev libswscale-dev freerdp2-dev libpango1.0-dev libssh2-1-dev libtelnet-dev libvncserver-dev libpulse-dev libssl-dev libvorbis-dev libwebp-dev

2.     stop tomcat and guacd

3.     remove existing guacamole-server directory

sudo rm -r /etc/guacamole-server-1.0.0

4.  Install guacamole server 1.2.0 in /etc/

sudo tar -xzf guacamole-server-1.2.0.tar.gz

cd guacamole-server-1.2.0/

sudo./configure --with-init-dir=/etc/init.d

sudo make

sudo make install

sudo ldconfig

sudo update-rc.d guacd defaults

5.     Remove guacamole.war and guacamole/ from /var/lib/tomcat8/webapps

6.     Copy guacamole.war to tomcat8

cp guacamole-1.2.0.war /var/lib/tomcat8/webapps/guacamole.war

7.     Restart tomcat8 and guacd

Tomcat8 logs:

Sun Jul 05 18:19:25 IST 2020 WARN: Establishing SSL connection without server's identity verification is not recommended. According to MySQL 5.5.45+, 5.6.26+ and 5.7.6+ requirements SSL connection must be established by default if explicit option isn't set. For compliance with existing applications not using SSL the verifyServerCertificate property is set to 'false'. You need either to explicitly disable SSL by setting useSSL=false, or set useSSL=true and provide truststore for server certificate verification.
WARNING: An illegal reflective access operation has occurred
WARNING: Illegal reflective access by org.apache.ibatis.ognl.OgnlRuntime (file:/etc/guacamole/extensions/guacamole-auth-jdbc-mysql-1.2.0.jar) to method java.util.Collections$EmptySet.isEmpty()
WARNING: Please consider reporting this to the maintainers of org.apache.ibatis.ognl.OgnlRuntime
WARNING: Use --illegal-access=warn to enable warnings of further illegal reflective access operations
WARNING: All illegal access operations will be denied in a future release
18:19:35.948 [http-nio-8080-exec-3] INFO  o.a.g.r.auth.AuthenticationService - User "username" successfully authenticated from 45.127.44.89.
Sun Jul 05 18:19:36 IST 2020 WARN: Establishing SSL connection without server's identity verification is not recommended. According to MySQL 5.5.45+, 5.6.26+ and 5.7.6+ requirements SSL connection must be established by default if explicit option isn't set. For compliance with existing applications not using SSL the verifyServerCertificate property is set to 'false'. You need either to explicitly disable SSL by setting useSSL=false, or set useSSL=true and provide truststore for server certificate verification.
18:19:37.431 [http-nio-8080-exec-1] INFO  o.a.g.environment.LocalEnvironment - GUACAMOLE_HOME is "/etc/guacamole".
18:19:38.401 [http-nio-8080-exec-3] INFO  o.a.g.tunnel.TunnelRequestService - User "username" connected to connection "1".
18:19:57.172 [Thread-4] INFO  o.a.g.tunnel.TunnelRequestService - User "username" disconnected from connection "1". Duration: 18768 milliseconds

Error in syslog

guacd[10659]: segfault at 7f3488003e20 ip 00007f3488003e20 sp 00007f3476141d48 error 15

Please suggest where I could have gone wrong.

Thanks in advance

-Tushar

Re: Guacamole 1.2.0 remoteapp connection getting disconnected

Tushar Jain
This post was updated on .
I tried to debug this today and following is my observation:

I tried a fresh install of guac 1.2.0 components on the same VM but the same
problem continued and the connection got disconnected as soon as
clicked/moved the mouse over the browser. I then reverted to
guacamole-1.0.0. The problem of disconnection disappeared, but I had a drive
enabled for my connection, which I was not able to view from within my
remoteapp. This was a mounted drive on the server and for some mysterious
reason (still working to identify the reason), it was deleted while
upgrading to guac 1.2.0

I re-instated the drive from our backups and re-installed/migrated to
guacamole-1.2.0 on the same VM. The remoteapp now seems to work fine without
any disconnections (though I would keep testing it for 1 more day).

From this I am led to understand that the drive disappearance was the cause
for guac 1.2.0 connections to get continuously disconnected after login

I am not sure if this qualifies as a bug; just sharing this information so
that it could benefit someone in future.

Re: FW:

mjumper
Administrator
On Sun, Jul 5, 2020 at 6:16 AM Tushar Jain <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello,

I migrated from guacamole-1.0.0 to guacamole-1.2.0 on Ubuntu 18.04. But my remoteapp on Windows server 2019,  is getting disconnected as soon as I click/move the mouse over the remote app.

3.     remove existing guacamole-server directory

sudo rm -r /etc/guacamole-server-1.0.0

Eh? What are you removing here? Certainly "/etc/guacamole-server-1.0.0" is not the prefix of the installation?

4.  Install guacamole server 1.2.0 in /etc/

sudo tar -xzf guacamole-server-1.2.0.tar.gz

cd guacamole-server-1.2.0/

sudo./configure --with-init-dir=/etc/init.d

sudo make

sudo make install

sudo ldconfig

sudo update-rc.d guacd defaults

The only place where "/etc" is involved here is "/etc/init.d", where you are requesting the build install an init script. The above will install guacd, etc. to the default install location (beneath "/usr/local"), which is good; "/etc" would not be a good choice for installation of binaries, as that would go against file hierarchy standards.

Error in syslog

guacd[10659]: segfault at 7f3488003e20 ip 00007f3488003e20 sp 00007f3476141d48 error 15

Please suggest where I could have gone wrong.

The most likely cause is binaries remaining from your previous install of guacamole-server, though it is also possible that there is something wrong with Ubuntu's updated FreeRDP packages or that FreeRDP has introduced breaking changes in their 2.1.1 release. If you are certain that libguac-client-rdp.so, libguac.so, and guacd are from your most recent build, next steps would be to install the debug symbols for freerdp2-dev, run guacd beneath a debugger, and obtain a stack trace once the segfault occurs.

RE: FW:

Tushar Jain

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the response. Below are my comments

Hello,

I migrated from guacamole-1.0.0 to guacamole-1.2.0 on Ubuntu 18.04. But my remoteapp on Windows server 2019,  is getting disconnected as soon as I click/move the mouse over the remote app.

3.     remove existing guacamole-server directory

sudo rm -r /etc/guacamole-server-1.0.0

Eh? What are you removing here? Certainly "/etc/guacamole-server-1.0.0" is not the prefix of the installation?

Just removing the physical directory from where guacamole-server-1.0.0 was installed. May be not a necessary step, but you can call a newbie being over cautious. Just another question – is it necessary to “uninstall” previous version of guacamole server in order to upgrade it? And if not for upgrade, but otherwise, are there any specific steps to un-install guacamole?

4.  Install guacamole server 1.2.0 in /etc/

sudo tar -xzf guacamole-server-1.2.0.tar.gz

cd guacamole-server-1.2.0/

sudo./configure --with-init-dir=/etc/init.d

sudo make

sudo make install

sudo ldconfig

sudo update-rc.d guacd defaults

The only place where "/etc" is involved here is "/etc/init.d", where you are requesting the build install an init script. The above will install guacd, etc. to the default install location (beneath "/usr/local"), which is good; "/etc" would not be a good choice for installation of binaries, as that would go against file hierarchy standards.

Yes, binaries are not in “/etc”. These steps were shared in one of the previous post about steps to upgrade as well as in guac manual, and I just following them.

Error in syslog

guacd[10659]: segfault at 7f3488003e20 ip 00007f3488003e20 sp 00007f3476141d48 error 15

Please suggest where I could have gone wrong.

The most likely cause is binaries remaining from your previous install of guacamole-server, though it is also possible that there is something wrong with Ubuntu's updated FreeRDP packages or that FreeRDP has introduced breaking changes in their 2.1.1 release. If you are certain that libguac-client-rdp.so, libguac.so, and guacd are from your most recent build, next steps would be to install the debug symbols for freerdp2-dev, run guacd beneath a debugger, and obtain a stack trace once the segfault occurs.

This problem went away when I did the following. I had shared this as a subsequent response the next day, but it seems that it got lost when I changed the subject line of the thread.

I tried a fresh install of guacamole 1.2.0 components on the same VM but the same problem continued and the connection got disconnected as soon as
clicked/moved the mouse over the browser. I then reverted to guacamole-1.0.0. The problem of disconnection disappeared, but I had a drive
enabled for my connection, which I was not able to view from within my remoteapp. This was a mounted drive on the server and for some mysterious
reason (still working to identify the reason), it was deleted while upgrading to guac 1.2.0

I re-instated the drive from our backups and re-installed/migrated to guacamole-1.2.0 on the same VM. The remoteapp now seems to work fine without
any disconnections (though I would keep testing it for 1 more day).

From this I am led to understand that the drive disappearance was the cause for guac 1.2.0 connections to get continuously disconnected after login

I am not sure if this qualifies as a bug; just sharing this information so that it could benefit someone in future.

Disclaimer: This message and any attachment may contain confidential, proprietary information and is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the original intended recipient and have erroneously received this message, you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. Hitachi MGRM Net E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. Hitachi MGRM Net therefore does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this message, which arise as a result of e-mail transmission. If verification is required, please request a hard-copy version. Hitachi MGRM Net Ltd, C - 6/5, Safdarjung Development Area, New Delhi - 110016, India

'Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail'.