Guacamole on a Tablet

Ray Jantz
Hi,

I am trying out Guacamole on an Android tablet and tried both input modes - text input and on-screen keyboard.  With text input, the Android on-screen keyboard pops up every time I touch the screen, even when there's no active input field, so that makes it practically un-useable.  With the Guacamole on-screen keyboard, I find the keys are too small to type reliably.  Is there something I'm overlooking in  configuring Guacamole for a mobile device or is better support planned for the future?

Thanks

Ray

Re: Guacamole on a Tablet

Steve Karam
Hi Ray,

With text input, Guacamole won’t really know whether the keyboard is needed or not at any particular time. There’s an input box, therefore the keyboard is there.

I haven’t tried on an Android tablet, but on an iPad I will hide the keyboard when I don’t need it and it stays hidden until I tap the left corner of the input box at the bottom. I’m not sure why this isn’t happening for you on Android.

> On Dec 8, 2016, at 3:25 PM, Ray Jantz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I am trying out Guacamole on an Android tablet and tried both input modes - text input and on-screen keyboard.  With text input, the Android on-screen keyboard pops up every time I touch the screen, even when there's no active input field, so that makes it practically un-useable.  With the Guacamole on-screen keyboard, I find the keys are too small to type reliably.  Is there something I'm overlooking in  configuring Guacamole for a mobile device or is better support planned for the future?
>
> Thanks
>
> Ray

Re: Guacamole on a Tablet

Remco Klappe || Tetra
I also had some complications with text input on tablets (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GUACAMOLE-71). Therefore i created a menu (see attachment) in the Guacamole Client with a keyboard icon, which focuses on a 1x1px input field somewhere at the bottom of the screen. Although it is almost the same as the default text input of Guacamole; this tweak fixed all of my input problems, and it doesn't scale the screen anymore because i got rid of the black bar at the bottom of the screen.

You can try to do some of the same.

With text input, Guacamole won’t really know whether the keyboard is needed or not at any particular time. There’s an input box, therefore the keyboard is there.

I haven’t tried on an Android tablet, but on an iPad I will hide the keyboard when I don’t need it and it stays hidden until I tap the left corner of the input box at the bottom. I’m not sure why this isn’t happening for you on Android.

> On Dec 8, 2016, at 3:25 PM, Ray Jantz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I am trying out Guacamole on an Android tablet and tried both input modes - text input and on-screen keyboard.  With text input, the Android on-screen keyboard pops up every time I touch the screen, even when there's no active input field, so that makes it practically un-useable.  With the Guacamole on-screen keyboard, I find the keys are too small to type reliably.  Is there something I'm overlooking in  configuring Guacamole for a mobile device or is better support planned for the future?
>
> Thanks
>
> Ray

menu.png (6K) Download Attachment

Re: Guacamole on a Tablet

Ray Jantz
Hi Remco,

I'm very interested in the change you made.  Is it being included in the regular Guacamole code base, or is it available as a patch?  If not could give some pointers about how to go about it?

Thanks,

Ray

On Fri, Dec 9, 2016 at 5:52 AM, Remco Klappe || Tetra <[hidden email]> wrote:
I also had some complications with text input on tablets (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GUACAMOLE-71). Therefore i created a menu (see attachment) in the Guacamole Client with a keyboard icon, which focuses on a 1x1px input field somewhere at the bottom of the screen. Although it is almost the same as the default text input of Guacamole; this tweak fixed all of my input problems, and it doesn't scale the screen anymore because i got rid of the black bar at the bottom of the screen.

You can try to do some of the same.

With text input, Guacamole won’t really know whether the keyboard is needed or not at any particular time. There’s an input box, therefore the keyboard is there.

I haven’t tried on an Android tablet, but on an iPad I will hide the keyboard when I don’t need it and it stays hidden until I tap the left corner of the input box at the bottom. I’m not sure why this isn’t happening for you on Android.

> On Dec 8, 2016, at 3:25 PM, Ray Jantz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I am trying out Guacamole on an Android tablet and tried both input modes - text input and on-screen keyboard.  With text input, the Android on-screen keyboard pops up every time I touch the screen, even when there's no active input field, so that makes it practically un-useable.  With the Guacamole on-screen keyboard, I find the keys are too small to type reliably.  Is there something I'm overlooking in  configuring Guacamole for a mobile device or is better support planned for the future?
>
> Thanks
>
> Ray

Re: Guacamole on a Tablet

Thiago Cruz
Hy Ray,

On some devices (iphone, ipad) I insert the URL like an App (see imagem below). Opening the Guacamole on this way I could use the keyboard options like a charm.

pasted2

Regards,
Thiago Cruz

Em qui, 8 de dez de 2016 às 18:25, Ray Jantz <[hidden email]> escreveu:
Hi,

I am trying out Guacamole on an Android tablet and tried both input modes - text input and on-screen keyboard.  With text input, the Android on-screen keyboard pops up every time I touch the screen, even when there's no active input field, so that makes it practically un-useable.  With the Guacamole on-screen keyboard, I find the keys are too small to type reliably.  Is there something I'm overlooking in  configuring Guacamole for a mobile device or is better support planned for the future?

Thanks

Ray

pasted1 (92K) Download Attachment

Re: Guacamole on a Tablet

Mike Jumper
On Dec 15, 2016 03:15, "Thiago Cruz" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hy Ray,

On some devices (iphone, ipad) I insert the URL like an App (see imagem below). Opening the Guacamole on this way I could use the keyboard options like a charm.

I highly recommend doing this.

This will work for Android as well. There is an "Add to Home Screen" menu option which allows the webapp to function full-screen and without things like the browser URL bar taking up space.

The same is also available on normal desktops. Chrome provides an option to bookmark things as a shortcut to the desktop (or to the shelf, in the case of ChromeOS). I believe both Firefox and Safari provide similar options, too.

In these cases, besides simply being convenient, the webapp is allowed to take control of things which the browser would otherwise reserve for its own use, like certain key combinations or touch gestures.

- Mike