Guacamole v1.3.0 + FreeRDP v2.0.0 (Debian 10)

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Guacamole v1.3.0 + FreeRDP v2.0.0 (Debian 10)

LuKaRo

Hi everyone,

I have to get back onto that FreeRDP issue that already got mentioned in the "Build 1.3.0 on Debian9" thread - although in my case, it's Debian 10. I just upgraded Guacamole from v1.2.0 to v1.3.0, and I had to add the "--enable-allow-freerdp-snapshots" to "./configure" as I got the following message without that flag:

  --------------------------------------------
   You are building against a development version of FreeRDP. Non-release
   versions of FreeRDP may have differences in behavior that are impossible to
   check for at build time. This may result in memory leaks or other strange
   behavior.

   *** PLEASE USE A RELEASED VERSION OF FREERDP IF POSSIBLE ***

   If you are ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN that building against this version of FreeRDP
   is OK, rerun configure with the --enable-allow-freerdp-snapshots
  --------------------------------------------

However, I'm using the version of FreeRDP that is provided by Debian Buster repositories:

freerdp2-dev/stable,stable,now 2.0.0~git20190204.1.2693389a+dfsg1-1+deb10u2 amd64

I am pretty sure that I didn't need to use this flag when building v1.2.0, as I'm using my own Ansible playbook for Guacamole, and it failed for v1.3.0, but not for v1.2.0. When building v1.2.0, I already used the same version of FreeRDP, as I checked the apt logs.

Why do I get a warning about an unreleased FreeRDP version? As the FreeRDP version I use is provided by Debian stable, I suppose it's a released version, isn't it? Or is it recommended to use a different version of FreeRDP?

Thanks to anyone who can shed some light on this matter :) And thanks, again, for all the work put in Apache Guacamole. Awesome software.

Cheers,
LuKaRo

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Guacamole v1.3.0 + FreeRDP v2.0.0 (Debian 10)

Евгений Н. Жуков
In Debian 10 with freerdp from repo all works fine. Also you can download freerdp from official site and build them or install freerdp repo and get already compiled binaries.

Сб, 9 янв. 2021 г. в 02:18, LuKaRo <[hidden email]>:

Hi everyone,

I have to get back onto that FreeRDP issue that already got mentioned in the "Build 1.3.0 on Debian9" thread - although in my case, it's Debian 10. I just upgraded Guacamole from v1.2.0 to v1.3.0, and I had to add the "--enable-allow-freerdp-snapshots" to "./configure" as I got the following message without that flag:

  --------------------------------------------
   You are building against a development version of FreeRDP. Non-release
   versions of FreeRDP may have differences in behavior that are impossible to
   check for at build time. This may result in memory leaks or other strange
   behavior.

   *** PLEASE USE A RELEASED VERSION OF FREERDP IF POSSIBLE ***

   If you are ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN that building against this version of FreeRDP
   is OK, rerun configure with the --enable-allow-freerdp-snapshots
  --------------------------------------------

However, I'm using the version of FreeRDP that is provided by Debian Buster repositories:

freerdp2-dev/stable,stable,now 2.0.0~git20190204.1.2693389a+dfsg1-1+deb10u2 amd64

I am pretty sure that I didn't need to use this flag when building v1.2.0, as I'm using my own Ansible playbook for Guacamole, and it failed for v1.3.0, but not for v1.2.0. When building v1.2.0, I already used the same version of FreeRDP, as I checked the apt logs.

Why do I get a warning about an unreleased FreeRDP version? As the FreeRDP version I use is provided by Debian stable, I suppose it's a released version, isn't it? Or is it recommended to use a different version of FreeRDP?

Thanks to anyone who can shed some light on this matter :) And thanks, again, for all the work put in Apache Guacamole. Awesome software.

Cheers,
LuKaRo

--
Евгений Жуков
+79534155676  skype: xrt_nn
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Guacamole v1.3.0 + FreeRDP v2.0.0 (Debian 10)

LuKaRo
On 09.01.21 00:45, Евгений Н. Жуков wrote:
> In Debian 10 with freerdp from repo all works fine. Also you can download freerdp from official site and build them or install freerdp repo and get already compiled binaries.
Yeah, I also noticed that it works despite the warning. However, I don't just want to skip this warning on a production server, I want to find out at least the cause for it. Therefore I was wondering why I even got this warning in the first place.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Guacamole v1.3.0 + FreeRDP v2.0.0 (Debian 10)

vnick
On Fri, Jan 8, 2021 at 7:10 PM LuKaRo <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 09.01.21 00:45, Евгений Н. Жуков wrote:
> In Debian 10 with freerdp from repo all works fine. Also you can download freerdp from official site and build them or install freerdp repo and get already compiled binaries.
Yeah, I also noticed that it works despite the warning. However, I don't just want to skip this warning on a production server, I want to find out at least the cause for it. Therefore I was wondering why I even got this warning in the first place.


The warning was added as part of GUACAMOLE-1181 (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GUACAMOLE-1181) due to issues introduced by various FreeRDP interim builds. Due to the seriousness of these issues, GUACAMOLE-1241 (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GUACAMOLE-1241) changed this from just a warning to an error that has to be manually overridden.


-Nick
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Guacamole v1.3.0 + FreeRDP v2.0.0 (Debian 10)

Charaoui, Jérôme
In reply to this post by LuKaRo
Le 2021-01-08 à 18 h 18, LuKaRo a écrit :
> Why do I get a warning about an unreleased FreeRDP version? As the
> FreeRDP version I use is provided by Debian stable, I suppose it's a
> released version, isn't it? Or is it recommended to use a different
> version of FreeRDP?

At the time Debian 10 (buster) was released, FreeRDP 2 was still in the
release-candidate stage.

The maintainers probably felt that not including FreeRDP 2 at all would
be worse than a pre-release version so that's what went into the Debian
release at the time.

The solution in this case is to simply enable the backports repository
and install freerdp2-dev version 2.2.0 from there.

Guacamole builds fine with it.

--
Jérôme Charaoui
Technicien en informatique
Collège de Maisonneuve


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Guacamole v1.3.0 + FreeRDP v2.0.0 (Debian 10)

vnick
On Fri, Jan 8, 2021 at 9:02 PM Jérôme Charaoui <[hidden email]> wrote:
Le 2021-01-08 à 18 h 18, LuKaRo a écrit :
> Why do I get a warning about an unreleased FreeRDP version? As the
> FreeRDP version I use is provided by Debian stable, I suppose it's a
> released version, isn't it? Or is it recommended to use a different
> version of FreeRDP?

At the time Debian 10 (buster) was released, FreeRDP 2 was still in the
release-candidate stage.

The maintainers probably felt that not including FreeRDP 2 at all would
be worse than a pre-release version so that's what went into the Debian
release at the time.

The solution in this case is to simply enable the backports repository
and install freerdp2-dev version 2.2.0 from there.

Guacamole builds fine with it.


Yep, and this is pretty much what we're doing with the guacd Docker image.

-Nick
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Guacamole v1.3.0 + FreeRDP v2.0.0 (Debian 10)

LuKaRo
In reply to this post by Charaoui, Jérôme
On 09.01.21 03:02, Jérôme Charaoui wrote:

> At the time Debian 10 (buster) was released, FreeRDP 2 was still in the
> release-candidate stage.
>
> The maintainers probably felt that not including FreeRDP 2 at all would
> be worse than a pre-release version so that's what went into the Debian
> release at the time.
>
> The solution in this case is to simply enable the backports repository
> and install freerdp2-dev version 2.2.0 from there.
>
> Guacamole builds fine with it.
Thanks a lot, I'll give that a try!

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Guacamole v1.3.0 + FreeRDP v2.0.0 (Debian 10)

LuKaRo
On 09.01.21 03:13, LuKaRo wrote:

> On 09.01.21 03:02, Jérôme Charaoui wrote:
>> At the time Debian 10 (buster) was released, FreeRDP 2 was still in the
>> release-candidate stage.
>>
>> The maintainers probably felt that not including FreeRDP 2 at all would
>> be worse than a pre-release version so that's what went into the Debian
>> release at the time.
>>
>> The solution in this case is to simply enable the backports repository
>> and install freerdp2-dev version 2.2.0 from there.
>>
>> Guacamole builds fine with it.
> Thanks a lot, I'll give that a try!
I actually got the information today that RDP connections indeed no longer work after the update. When I checked journalctl for guacd logs, I noticed the exact same "double free" issues that got mentioned here earlier. So I enabled the Debian Backports repository in my ansible role and installed freeRDP from it, and now it works again. I didn't even need to rebuild the server, so maybe updating the dynamically linked libraries was enough?

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]