Headless Guacamole protocol plugins

McRoy, Jeffrey (GE Healthcare)
Hi Everyone,

Has anyone tried making a headless protocol plugin to do a specific job? For example, download a file to a specific local guac server location. In the hypothetical example below when the Guacamole.Client connects it would login to hostname and download the remote file specified from hostname to the local destination on the guac server with no display.

Regards,
Jeff

// Create configuration
GuacamoleConfiguration config = new GuacamoleConfiguration();

// Download a file in the background and save it to the guac server
config.setProtocol("headless_ftp");
config.setParameter("hostname", "x.x.x.x");
config.setParameter("port", "21");
config.setParameter("login”, “myuser”);
config.setParameter("password”, “mypassword”);
config.setParameter("remote_file”, “/home/myuser/documents/foo.txt”);
config.setParameter("local_dest”, “/usr/share/downloads/”);

 // Connect to guacd proxy
 GuacamoleSocket socket = new ConfiguredGuacamoleSocket(
 new InetGuacamoleSocket("x.x.x.x", 4822), config);

// Return a new tunnel which uses the connected socket
return new SimpleGuacamoleTunnel(socket);

smime.p7s (8K) Download Attachment

Re: Headless Guacamole protocol plugins

vnick

On Wed, Oct 11, 2017 at 5:00 PM McRoy, Jeffrey (GE Healthcare) <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Everyone,

Has anyone tried making a headless protocol plugin to do a specific job? For example, download a file to a specific local guac server location. In the hypothetical example below when the Guacamole.Client connects it would login to hostname and download the remote file specified from hostname to the local destination on the guac server with no display.

Regards,
Jeff

Jeff,
I don't know of anyone having done this, but I guess I'm a little fuzzy on why you'd want to do this in the first place?  Why not just a normal transfer protocol, like FTP, FTPS, SFTP, SCP, etc., and find some way or another to have the user launch that in a user-friendly way?  I guess I'm not understanding what you gain in doing something like this with Guacamole?

Re: Headless Guacamole protocol plugins

McRoy, Jeffrey (GE Healthcare)

Thanks for the reply Nick.

I am using the standard Guacamole protocol plugins for human users. I also have automated functions that need to perform actions like moving files or executing commands. In those cases, I can use standard Java libraries and make services to do automated Telnet/SSH & FTP/SFTP actions. However, I started thinking about what it might be like if Guacamole had headless protocol plugins that could be used by automation. So, I was curious to know if anyone had actually tried something like that.

Regards,

Jeff

From: Nick Couchman <[hidden email]>
Date: Thursday, October 12, 2017 at 10:10 PM

[...]