Initial RDP Session Resolution Is Very Tiny Until Browser Refresh

Initial RDP Session Resolution Is Very Tiny Until Browser Refresh

zogden
<http://apache-guacamole-general-user-mailing-list.2363388.n4.nabble.com/file/t1358/tinyguac.png>

As you can see in the image above, my initial connection to a guac xrdp
session is an incredibly small what we've been calling "thumbnail". I have
it zoomed in the red circle so that you can see just how tiny it is. Once I
refresh the browser it resizes to the full size of the window but what could
be causing the initial connection to render like that? Everything I've read
says that the resolution is handled by the rdp server at initial connection
but without us changing anything and simply refreshing the page it resizes
to what it should be. Any ideas?

Re: Initial RDP Session Resolution Is Very Tiny Until Browser Refresh

mjumper
Administrator
What version of Guacamole is being used in this case?

- Mike

On Wed, Jul 1, 2020, 09:22 zogden <[hidden email]> wrote:

As you can see in the image above, my initial connection to a guac xrdp
session is an incredibly small what we've been calling "thumbnail". I have
it zoomed in the red circle so that you can see just how tiny it is. Once I
refresh the browser it resizes to the full size of the window but what could
be causing the initial connection to render like that? Everything I've read
says that the resolution is handled by the rdp server at initial connection
but without us changing anything and simply refreshing the page it resizes
to what it should be. Any ideas?

Re: Initial RDP Session Resolution Is Very Tiny Until Browser Refresh

zogden
We are running Guacamole 1.1.0 on Ubuntu 19.10 (planning to upgrade to 20.04
soon) and connecting to xrdp 0.9.12 (0.9.13 is the latest version but not
yet packaged for debian)

Re: Initial RDP Session Resolution Is Very Tiny Until Browser Refresh

mjumper
Administrator
I'd recommend trying against the latest release (1.2.0). What you're encountering here looks more like the properly-sized display is being scaled way too small due to the browser viewport being mishandled/misdetected. The latest release includes some changes related to handling of browser window size and automatic scaling of the display. Those changes were motivated by the need to correct an issue with iOS, but they may have an effect here.

- Mike

On Wed, Jul 1, 2020 at 12:45 PM zogden <[hidden email]> wrote:
We are running Guacamole 1.1.0 on Ubuntu 19.10 (planning to upgrade to 20.04
soon) and connecting to xrdp 0.9.12 (0.9.13 is the latest version but not
yet packaged for debian)

Re: Initial RDP Session Resolution Is Very Tiny Until Browser Refresh

zogden
We updated our server to Ubuntu 20.04 and Guacamole 1.2.0 over the weekend
and we (so far) haven't had any more issues so I think that did it. Thanks!