Live Preview Dashboard

petapixel
Hello all,

I'm looking to create a separate web-based dashboard that shows a live
preview (same as the recent connections live preview) of all connections
registered to the logged in user. I would like to generate a screen sharing
link and open it in a new window or tab when the live preview is clicked on.
Any direction is greatly appreciated.

thanks!

Re: Live Preview Dashboard

vnick
On Sun, May 13, 2018 at 9:18 PM, petapixel <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello all,

I'm looking to create a separate web-based dashboard that shows a live
preview (same as the recent connections live preview) of all connections
registered to the logged in user. I would like to generate a screen sharing
link and open it in a new window or tab when the live preview is clicked on.
Any direction is greatly appreciated.

So, I'm a little confused as to exactly what you're trying to accomplish, here.  The thumbnail on the "Recent Connections" is not a "live preview" - it's a periodically-updated snapshot of the last state of the screen at the last time the connection was active.  If the connection is not active for the user, it does not automatically update to the current state of the screen -  it just has the last image when the connection was last active.

Doing a "Live Preview" doesn't really seem practical - you *could*, I suppose, have Guacamole start the connection in the background such that it is already active and periodically updating a thumbnail of the connection, but I see a few issues with this.  First, you have the connection logistics to work through - how is the connection authenticated, does it prompt or wait for a password, etc.  Second, you have the potential for creating a lot of traffic and browser load for connections that aren't actually being actively used, simply for the purpose of having a relatively up-to-date thumbnail of the connection on the home page.  For this to work, guacd has to be connected to the remote host, and that connection has to be maintained as open, which means that guacd has to be getting traffic from Guacamole Client.  That means you have to have the client active running that connection somehow (even if in the background) to guacd to maintain the open connection - and all of this just to update a thumbnail of an image on the home page?

Perhaps you could describe your use-case a little more clearly - what environment are you trying to work in and why do you want this to behave this way?  What's your end goal?

Re: Live Preview Dashboard

petapixel
Thanks for the quick reply! I misspoke about the "live preview". The recent
connections preview is definitely enough; doesn't need to be real-time.

The goal is to generate a set of users and connections and then create a
"master" user that can access all connections previous generated. An example
would be: create 5 users, attach each user to a unique RDP connection with
sharing profiles. Finally create a user that has all connections available
and give that user a "dashboard link" that provides a "recent connections"
type of preview for all the available connections. The "preview" could be
blank or non-existent if the connection isn't being actively used. If the
connection is active, it would be nice to have a screen sharing link
generated "on-click" and opened a new tab or window. This would remove the
need for all of the unique users to manually generate the screen sharing
link and provide it to the master user.

Both features (screen sharing and preview) are currently active in
guacamole, I was thinking it would be "easy" to take those features and
combine them in a common location; grid or something similar to present a
dashboard feel.

Re: Live Preview Dashboard

vnick

On Mon, May 14, 2018 at 1:15 PM, petapixel <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

This sounds really similar to things that several other folks have requested - basically, the ability to "publish," more or less, shared connections, either voluntarily (user clicks Share Connection and it makes it available on the Guacamole Home Page) or forcibly (certain user always has "shared" access to active connections.  I expect this will get implemented at some point in the future - you might look through the JIRA issues that are open and see if you can find one that matches what you're asking for and follow that.

-Nick