Restricting user Interacting with remote computer using Client

Restricting user Interacting with remote computer using Client

Masood

Is it possible through guacamole to restrict the user interaction with the remote Desktop? I don't want to give full access to the user. I want to limit his interaction with the application.

I want user to interact with the specific application(application ideally should open automatically when user access the remote computer) for evaluation purpose but he should not be able to close or minimize the app (For example when the user clicks on the top left or top right corner of application nothing happens as it is out of range for him).

Can this feature be implemented through the client or through HTML5 or is it not possible.

I know with TightVNC you can have some limitations but they are not useful in my case.

Thanks

Re: Restricting user Interacting with remote computer using Client

Tomas Maggio
Hi,

Wouldn't that depend on the OS?

Cheers

On 23 Mar 2017 10:16 p.m., "Masood" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Is it possible through guacamole to restrict the user interaction with the
remote Desktop? I don't want to give full access to the user. I want to
limit his interaction with the application.

I want user to interact with the specific application(application ideally
should open automatically when user access the remote computer) for
evaluation purpose but he should not be able to close or minimize the app
(For example when the user clicks on the top left or top right corner of
application nothing happens as it is out of range for him).

Can this feature be implemented through the client or through HTML5 or is it
not possible.

I know with TightVNC you can have some limitations but they are not useful
in my case.

Thanks

Re: Restricting user Interacting with remote computer using Client

khchew
Hi
If you are referring to RDP, you can take a look at "initial-program" setting available for RDP. The application must be set as RemoteApp

Re: Restricting user Interacting with remote computer using Client

Masood
my program is only for windows. I want to apply restriction from the client side. In the current scenario, a user can have full access to the computer which is risky. I want to use guacamole to evaluate my desktop applications. User will have access to the application through remote desktop but won't be able to close or make changes in the computer.

any ideas or suggestions

I am currently using VNC. But I think I can also use RDP. Any ideas about disabling mouse clicks on certain part of applications (like the top corner or close, minimize button) from a client?

Re: Restricting user Interacting with remote computer using Client

khchew
using the initial-program will behave exactly just like the standard rdp..there will b no start menu..no task manager..just the app..closing the app will close the connection as well while minimize the app will only b shown black screen..there's nothing user can do except to interact with the app only

I am currently using VNC. But I think I can also use RDP. Any ideas about
disabling mouse clicks on certain part of applications (like the top corner
or close, minimize button) from a client?

RE: Restricting user Interacting with remote computer using Client

Adrian Owen
Guacamole supports VNC read only any use to you?

my program is only for windows. I want to apply restriction from the client side. In the current scenario, a user can have full access to the computer which is risky. I want to use guacamole to evaluate my desktop applications.
User will have access to the application through remote desktop but won't be able to close or make changes in the computer.

any ideas or suggestions

Re: Restricting user Interacting with remote computer using Client

khchew
with the initial-program..there will b no start menu..no task manager..only the app..close the app will close the connection as well while minimize the app will only b shown black screen

Masood
so what I understand is that I must use RDP initial program. but with guacamole, I can't restrict user interaction from the front end

So do I have to complete scrap this project usage and switch to another. Do you have some suggestions?

Re: Restricting user Interacting with remote computer using Client

khchew
Hi
Guacamole does support RDP protocol. You can use Guacamole with RDP and just set the initial-program setting. You can refer to Guacamole documentation RDP section for further details

_____________________________

On Thu, Mar 23, 2017 at 2:08 AM, Masood <[hidden email]> wrote:

Is it possible through guacamole to restrict the user interaction with the
remote Desktop? I don't want to give full access to the user. I want to
limit his interaction with the application.

You would want to implement any such restrictions within the remote desktop server itself. Attempting to enforce such restrictions on the client side (within Guacamole) would likely prove infeasible / too easy for a user to get around.

I want user to interact with the specific application(application ideally
should open automatically when user access the remote computer) for
evaluation purpose but he should not be able to close or minimize the app
(For example when the user clicks on the top left or top right corner of
application nothing happens as it is out of range for him).

Keep in mind that, from the perspective of Guacamole or any other remote desktop client, the close button is no different than anything else on the screen; it's an image. Once the incremental changes describing the contents of the screen are received by Guacamole, all semantic details of that data is absent. Only the remote desktop itself is aware of the fact that a particular application has buttons of any kind, whether it should open that application automatically, etc.

In the case of RDP, there is native support for opening applications upon connection, but preventing the user from closing that application would need to be configured within the OS or the application in question. RDP and the RDP client will not be able to prevent this.

For VNC and Linux, the VNC server operates as an X11 server, and there is no need for you to run a full desktop environment. If you restrict the server to just the application you want and some window manager, then that would be a start, but again you'll need to implement any further restrictions within the OS or the application.

Can this feature be implemented through the client or through HTML5 or is it
not possible.

It's not advisable, since any such restrictions would be trivial to circumvent. You wouldn't want to restrict the ability to close an application or open other applications purely through preventing (for example) mouse clicks to certain locations; you'd want to have the application itself refuse to cooperate, and the environment around the application refuse to do anything but run that application.

- Mike