Server specifcations?

lynnaj
Hello All -

I can't seem to find anything recent online about Guacamole server
specifications/recommendations.

What size/type of server(s) are you running this on and for how many
concurrent connections? How much memory? How many and what types of CPU(s)?
How much disk space? How much network bandwidth?

What am I missing?

Thank you.
- Lynna Jackson, Williams College

Re: Server specifcations?

ivanmarcus

This is a question that's come up a few times.

In the half-dozen installations I have this fits in with my experience too. As far as I'm aware no-one has expressed any contrary view.

With regard to disk sizing, I generally run my installations as a VM with dynamic sizing up to ~20GB. Most use less than 3GB in practice.

Network bandwidth is more difficult to determine, it will depend upon a number of factors around what it is your users are doing, and how you have things set up. There have been various discussions on this too; I suggest having a look at the mailing list referenced above as you may find someone with a use-case similar to yours. This thread may be helpful as a start: http://apache-guacamole-general-user-mailing-list.2363388.n4.nabble.com/Viewing-active-connections-while-using-user-mapping-xml-td7844.html#a7861

In general it's fair to say that Guacamole does a good job with compression, and bandwidth requirements are not too onerous.

On 17/06/2020 4:02 a.m., lynnaj wrote:
Hello All -

I can't seem to find anything recent online about Guacamole server
specifications/recommendations.

What size/type of server(s) are you running this on and for how many
concurrent connections? How much memory? How many and what types of CPU(s)?
How much disk space? How much network bandwidth?

What am I missing?

Thank you.
- Lynna Jackson, Williams College

RE: Server specifcations?

Peter De Tender

Hi all,

To add on this, I’m seeing the same behavior on my systems (running as Azure VMs), for our lab scenarios:

  • 20 students using RDP to Windows 2016 Server
  • Active sessions 7hours a day, with about 4h “active use” (standby online when trainers are presenting)
  • Azure VM Size: D2sv3 (Xeon E5-2673 2.4Ghz), 2 CPU / 8GB RAM / 4 SSD drives
  • Average load is about 20% CPU throughout the day, 3,7GB RAM

FYI, this is a single VM setup with MariaDB and NGINX, running behind Azure Front Door SSL Gateway with WAF.

Thx, Peter

Re: Server specifcations?

Peter De Tender
Hi Jeff,

I don't experience any latency, but my Nginx is only doing the redirect from /guacamole to / so I can directly connect to it from Azure FrontDoor. My SSL cert is on Azure Front Door too, not on Nginx.

I think I could probably do without Nginx alltogether, but the setup script had it builtin, and I haven't tried the impact of removing it.

I'm sure some more experienced Guacamole and Nginx admins can provide more insights here.

Thanks Peter

Re: Server specifcations?

mjumper
Administrator
I always deploy Guacamole behind an Nginx reverse proxy for SSL termination. There have never been any latency issues.

If seeing latency only with Nginx, I suspect either a problem in the configuration (didn't disable buffering?) or an Nginx that is old enough to not support WebSocket.

- Mike

On Wed, Jun 17, 2020, 13:49 Peter De Tender <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Jeff,

I don't experience any latency, but my Nginx is only doing the redirect from /guacamole to / so I can directly connect to it from Azure FrontDoor. My SSL cert is on Azure Front Door too, not on Nginx.

I think I could probably do without Nginx alltogether, but the setup script had it builtin, and I haven't tried the impact of removing it.

I'm sure some more experienced Guacamole and Nginx admins can provide more insights here.

Thanks Peter

Re: Server specifcations?

vnick
On Wed, Jun 17, 2020 at 5:55 PM <[hidden email]> wrote:
Ah!  The lagginess suggests the presence of a buffer. I'll figure out how to disable that; thanks.

You can find proxy instructions for Guacamole here:

Re: Server specifcations?

jhubbslist
On 6/17/20 8:59 PM, Nick Couchman wrote:
On Wed, Jun 17, 2020 at 5:55 PM <[hidden email]> wrote:
Ah!  The lagginess suggests the presence of a buffer. I'll figure out how to disable that; thanks.

You can find proxy instructions for Guacamole here:

-Nick

Nick, disabling that buffering in nginx made all the difference; thank you.