Should I try Guacamole ?

lynnaj
Hello Guacamole admins,

Would Guacamole be a good fit for the following use case ....

We currently have a pool of physical "lab" Mac and Windows computers in
classrooms that are available for remote desktop using a manual VPN, RDP,
and VNC process. This process is difficult, at best, for non-tech savoy
people to navigate. I have, therefore, been searching for a solution that
takes that existing pool and by adding a service or two to those computers,
provides access to them via an HTML-5 based web browser much the same way
that vmware's horizon 7 VDI does. (By the way, we also have that horizon 7
VDI implementation setup and working but it's windows only and I'd really
like to get remote desktop access to macs as well.)

Based on my reading of the Guacamole docs , it looks like this would be
possible. Am I reading that right?  Are any of you using Guacamole to
provide remote desktop access to both macs and windows from an HTML-5
website? If yes, can you comment on how easy or hard this took for you to
setup?

Thank you!
- Lynna
Lynna Jackson, Williams College

Re: Should I try Guacamole ?

Stefan Bogdan Cimpeanu
Hi Lynna,

I’m running in production Guacamole serving over 500 hosts in total, a mix of Windows,Linux and Mac, and it’s been a breeze for almost 1 year now.
We’ve setup Windows to go through RDP, while Linux and Macs via VNC.

One note here is that Mac’s VNC is quite laggy even running it natively between two Macs, so expect that.
I’d suggest to keep the VPN in order to reach your Guacamole servers, for added security.
One nice advantage for Windows VM’s is that if you integrate Guacamole with your AD, you can have RDP in browser automatically login to your Windows hosts, with the user’s guacamole credentials (essentially the AD credentials).

Your use case sounds perfect for Guacamole.

Bogdan

> On 5 Jun 2020, at 17:55, lynnaj <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello Guacamole admins,
>
> Would Guacamole be a good fit for the following use case ....
>
> We currently have a pool of physical "lab" Mac and Windows computers in
> classrooms that are available for remote desktop using a manual VPN, RDP,
> and VNC process. This process is difficult, at best, for non-tech savoy
> people to navigate. I have, therefore, been searching for a solution that
> takes that existing pool and by adding a service or two to those computers,
> provides access to them via an HTML-5 based web browser much the same way
> that vmware's horizon 7 VDI does. (By the way, we also have that horizon 7
> VDI implementation setup and working but it's windows only and I'd really
> like to get remote desktop access to macs as well.)
>
> Based on my reading of the Guacamole docs , it looks like this would be
> possible. Am I reading that right?  Are any of you using Guacamole to
> provide remote desktop access to both macs and windows from an HTML-5
> website? If yes, can you comment on how easy or hard this took for you to
> setup?
>
> Thank you!
> - Lynna
> Lynna Jackson, Williams College

Re: Should I try Guacamole ?

Sven Specker
On 2020-06-05 16:55, lynnaj wrote:

Hi!

> We currently have a pool of physical "lab" Mac and Windows computers in
> classrooms that are available for remote desktop using a manual VPN, RDP,
> and VNC process. This process is difficult, at best, for non-tech savoy
> people to navigate. I have, therefore, been searching for a solution that
> takes that existing pool and by adding a service or two to those computers,
> provides access to them via an HTML-5 based web browser much the same way
> that vmware's horizon 7 VDI does. (By the way, we also have that horizon 7
> VDI implementation setup and working but it's windows only and I'd really
> like to get remote desktop access to macs as well.)

So basically you want to do

browser (VPN) -> guacamole -> mac(vnc) and windows(rdp)

That is what it is made for. Albeit you are confined to VNC on MACOS
unless you pay for aquaconnect and use rdp then to get rid of the
horrible VNC. Unfortunately they charge prices that are "Mac-Like" :)

I have not had any problems to connect to any flavour of RDP, VNC, SSH,
TELNET in my network, if the servers adhere to the protocols, regardless
of OS.

I have requests for a guacamole that connects to aquaconnect RDP servers
on Mac but they have not yet installed their side, so I cannot tell you
if that is any better performance wise (or works properly..) yet.

Even with the vnc performance, it is better than to fiddle with multiple
clients and stuff and should fit your case like a glove.

Best regards,

Sven Specker

*** Sven Specker -- University of Frankfurt Computing Center   ***
*********** UNIX System Administration (Auth/IDM) ****************
***** [hidden email] [Phone (+49)-69-798-15188] *****
                Johann Wolfgang Goethe Universitaet
    - Hochschulrechenzentrum -