Some RDP connections don't work

systemreggie
I have Guacamole installed and working with both RDP and VNC, but
occasionally I am encountering systems to which I cannot connect with RDP.
I can connect to these systems just fine with Windows Remote Desktop but not
Guacamole.

When I try to connect to these systems with Guacamole I get this error
message: "The remote desktop server encountered an error and has closed the
connection. Please try again or contact your system administrator."
Sometimes instead it says "You have been disconnected."

In syslog I see messages like these:
Dec 20 10:11:02 remotelogin guacd[10531]: Protocol "rdp" selected
Dec 20 10:11:02 remotelogin guacd[10531]: Connection ID is
"$3bfaeb22-3cfe-4f92-9e0b-23e81e9f85cd"
Dec 20 10:11:02 remotelogin guacd[10531]: Security mode: TLS
Dec 20 10:11:02 remotelogin guacd[10531]: Loading keymap "base"
Dec 20 10:11:02 remotelogin guacd[10531]: Loading keymap "en-us-qwerty"
Dec 20 10:11:02 remotelogin guacd[10531]: Failed to load guacdr plugin.
Drive redirection and printing will not work. Sound MAY not work.
Dec 20 10:11:02 remotelogin guacd[10531]: Failed to load guacsnd alongside
guacdr plugin. Sound will not work. Drive redirection and printing MAY not
work.
Dec 20 10:11:02 remotelogin guacd[10531]: Error connecting to RDP server
Dec 20 10:11:02 remotelogin guacd[10531]: Connection did not succeed

While in catalina.out I see Java exceptions like these:
10:12:17.211 [http-bio-8080-exec-6] DEBUG
o.g.g.w.GuacamoleWebSocketTunnelEndpoint - Connection to guacd closed.
org.glyptodon.guacamole.GuacamoleConnectionClosedException: Connection to
guacd is closed.
        at
org.glyptodon.guacamole.io.WriterGuacamoleWriter.write(WriterGuacamoleWriter.java:69)
~[guacamole-common-0.9.9.jar:na]
        at
org.glyptodon.guacamole.io.WriterGuacamoleWriter.write(WriterGuacamoleWriter.java:78)
~[guacamole-common-0.9.9.jar:na]
        at
org.glyptodon.guacamole.websocket.GuacamoleWebSocketTunnelEndpoint.onMessage(GuacamoleWebSocketTunnelEndpoint.java:218)
~[guacamole-common-0.9.9.jar:na]
        at
org.glyptodon.guacamole.websocket.GuacamoleWebSocketTunnelEndpoint$1.onMessage(GuacamoleWebSocketTunnelEndpoint.java:133)
[guacamole-common-0.9.9.jar:na]
        at
org.glyptodon.guacamole.websocket.GuacamoleWebSocketTunnelEndpoint$1.onMessage(GuacamoleWebSocketTunnelEndpoint.java:129)
[guacamole-common-0.9.9.jar:na]
        at
org.apache.tomcat.websocket.WsFrameBase.sendMessageText(WsFrameBase.java:399)
[tomcat7-websocket.jar:7.0.68]
        at
org.apache.tomcat.websocket.WsFrameBase.processDataText(WsFrameBase.java:500)
[tomcat7-websocket.jar:7.0.68]
        at
org.apache.tomcat.websocket.WsFrameBase.processData(WsFrameBase.java:295)
[tomcat7-websocket.jar:7.0.68]
        at
org.apache.tomcat.websocket.WsFrameBase.processInputBuffer(WsFrameBase.java:131)
[tomcat7-websocket.jar:7.0.68]
        at
org.apache.tomcat.websocket.server.WsFrameServer.onDataAvailable(WsFrameServer.java:67)
[tomcat7-websocket.jar:7.0.68]
        at
org.apache.tomcat.websocket.server.WsHttpUpgradeHandler$WsReadListener.onDataAvailable(WsHttpUpgradeHandler.java:205)
[tomcat7-websocket.jar:7.0.68]
        at
org.apache.coyote.http11.upgrade.AbstractServletInputStream.onDataAvailable(AbstractServletInputStream.java:203)
[tomcat-coyote-7.0.68.jar:7.0.68]
        at
org.apache.coyote.http11.upgrade.AbstractProcessor.upgradeDispatch(AbstractProcessor.java:93)
[tomcat-coyote-7.0.68.jar:7.0.68]
        at
org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$AbstractConnectionHandler.process(AbstractProtocol.java:623)
[tomcat-coyote-7.0.68.jar:7.0.68]
        at
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint$SocketProcessor.run(JIoEndpoint.java:316)
[tomcat-coyote-7.0.68.jar:7.0.68]
        at
[na:1.8.0_111]
        at
[na:1.8.0_111]
        at
org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.TaskThread$WrappingRunnable.run(TaskThread.java:61)
[tomcat-coyote-7.0.68.jar:7.0.68]
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745) [na:1.8.0_111]
Caused by: java.net.SocketException: Socket closed
        at
java.net.SocketOutputStream.socketWrite(SocketOutputStream.java:116)
~[na:1.8.0_111]
        at java.net.SocketOutputStream.write(SocketOutputStream.java:153)
~[na:1.8.0_111]
        at sun.nio.cs.StreamEncoder.writeBytes(StreamEncoder.java:221)
~[na:1.8.0_111]
        at sun.nio.cs.StreamEncoder.implFlushBuffer(StreamEncoder.java:291)
~[na:1.8.0_111]
        at sun.nio.cs.StreamEncoder.implFlush(StreamEncoder.java:295)
~[na:1.8.0_111]
        at sun.nio.cs.StreamEncoder.flush(StreamEncoder.java:141)
~[na:1.8.0_111]
        at java.io.OutputStreamWriter.flush(OutputStreamWriter.java:229)
~[na:1.8.0_111]
        at
org.glyptodon.guacamole.io.WriterGuacamoleWriter.write(WriterGuacamoleWriter.java:63)
~[guacamole-common-0.9.9.jar:na]
        ... 18 common frames omitted

I read somewhere the suggestion that for Windows 10 I needed to set my
security mode to TLS encryption and check "ignore server certificate."  I
have done that but it doesn't seem to change anything.

Any suggestions how I can get connected or diagnose what is going wrong?

Re: Some RDP connections don't work

Mike Jumper
On Tue, Dec 20, 2016 at 8:00 AM, systemreggie <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have Guacamole installed and working with both RDP and VNC, but
> occasionally I am encountering systems to which I cannot connect with RDP.
> I can connect to these systems just fine with Windows Remote Desktop but not
> Guacamole.
>
> When I try to connect to these systems with Guacamole I get this error
> message: "The remote desktop server encountered an error and has closed the
> connection. Please try again or contact your system administrator."
> Sometimes instead it says "You have been disconnected."
>
> In syslog I see messages like these:
> Dec 20 10:11:02 remotelogin guacd[10531]: Error connecting to RDP server
> Dec 20 10:11:02 remotelogin guacd[10531]: Connection did not succeed

It sounds like the RDP server is rejecting the connection outright.
Normally this means that the authentication settings or credentials
are incorrect. More on this below.

> While in catalina.out I see Java exceptions like these:
> 10:12:17.211 [http-bio-8080-exec-6] DEBUG
> o.g.g.w.GuacamoleWebSocketTunnelEndpoint - Connection to guacd closed.

That exception in catalina.out can be safely ignored. It's only being
logged as such because debug-level logging is enabled, and exceptions
are indeed thrown when the socket is closed.

> I read somewhere the suggestion that for Windows 10 I needed to set my
> security mode to TLS encryption and check "ignore server certificate."  I
> have done that but it doesn't seem to change anything.

That would indeed be suggestion, as well... but if you've already done
so, there must be a different reason.

> Any suggestions how I can get connected or diagnose what is going wrong?

Is your RDP server perhaps configured to require NLA?

Re: Some RDP connections don't work

systemreggie
NLA is the solution!  I have no idea what is configured on some of these servers vs. others to require it.

On Tue, Dec 20, 2016 at 1:10 PM, Mike Jumper <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Tue, Dec 20, 2016 at 8:00 AM, systemreggie <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I have Guacamole installed and working with both RDP and VNC, but
> occasionally I am encountering systems to which I cannot connect with RDP.
> I can connect to these systems just fine with Windows Remote Desktop but not
> Guacamole.
>
> When I try to connect to these systems with Guacamole I get this error
> message: "The remote desktop server encountered an error and has closed the
> connection. Please try again or contact your system administrator."
> Sometimes instead it says "You have been disconnected."
>
> In syslog I see messages like these:
> Dec 20 10:11:02 remotelogin guacd[10531]: Error connecting to RDP server
> Dec 20 10:11:02 remotelogin guacd[10531]: Connection did not succeed

It sounds like the RDP server is rejecting the connection outright.
Normally this means that the authentication settings or credentials
are incorrect. More on this below.

> While in catalina.out I see Java exceptions like these:
> 10:12:17.211 [http-bio-8080-exec-6] DEBUG
> o.g.g.w.GuacamoleWebSocketTunnelEndpoint - Connection to guacd closed.

That exception in catalina.out can be safely ignored. It's only being
logged as such because debug-level logging is enabled, and exceptions
are indeed thrown when the socket is closed.

> I read somewhere the suggestion that for Windows 10 I needed to set my
> security mode to TLS encryption and check "ignore server certificate."  I
> have done that but it doesn't seem to change anything.

That would indeed be suggestion, as well... but if you've already done
so, there must be a different reason.

> Any suggestions how I can get connected or diagnose what is going wrong?

Is your RDP server perhaps configured to require NLA?

- Mike