Some VNC devices not rendering on IOS

tako
Hi,

Not sure what exactly the problem is, but I have some devices that allow a
connection over VNC. I am having problems with AMX touch panel (for
automation/AV control) in a business environment. Works great in a desktop
browser and Android Chrome. Now, I have an iPad & Phone as well, and I have
connections that when opened...the connection is established, but all I see
is a black screen. I am able to interact, I just can't see what I'm doing.

I am able to open a Windows desktop (with a VNC server installed) just fine
across all devices.

I was wondering if it's related to resolution/scaling or something else. If
there's any technical information or debugging I can do, that'd be great.

Re: Some VNC devices not rendering on IOS

mjumper
Administrator
On Fri, May 25, 2018, 08:08 tako <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

Not sure what exactly the problem is, but I have some devices that allow a
connection over VNC. I am having problems with AMX touch panel (for
automation/AV control) in a business environment.

What is AMX touch panel?

Works great in a desktop
browser and Android Chrome. Now, I have an iPad & Phone as well, and I have
connections that when opened...the connection is established, but all I see
is a black screen. I am able to interact, I just can't see what I'm doing.

Have you tried connecting to the iOS device with a debugger to see whether the browser is logging JavaScript errors?

Is the browser in question iOS Safari? What version of iOS? What version of Guacamole?

I am able to open a Windows desktop (with a VNC server installed) just fine
across all devices.

I was wondering if it's related to resolution/scaling or something else. If
there's any technical information or debugging I can do, that'd be great.

There shouldn't be any distinction between client devices as far as the VNC server is concerned. I'm not sure what might be going on here, but there isn't anything which could be browser-specific that would be visible to the VNC server. There are browser- and platform-specific matters which the client needs to deal with, but the VNC server always has the same client in all cases (guacd), and the VNC server would see only guacd and the same behavior regardless of what you're using the access Guacamole.

It's interesting that you're only seeing this with certain combinations, but the cause must be something else.

Re: Some VNC devices not rendering on IOS

tako
This post was updated on .
An AMX touch panel is a graphical control interface for a line of
business/enterprise-grade room control/automation systems. they're used to
control projectors, screens, sources, etc in conference rooms and
classrooms.

They have a VNC (and Telnet) listener on them, so you can connect to it from
any VNC client and interact with it. See the same interface as the user
physically at the panel. I usually do remote support for our classrooms and
conference rooms using VNC.

Guacamole has been a great tool for this, as it allows me to set up every
possible ahead of time (don't need to copy & paste an IP from a spreadsheet
every time someone needs help), as well as allow my team to do the same.

iPad & iPhone version = 11.3.1
This issue occurs on both Chrome and Safari.

Guac is 0.9.14, Docker image.

I just tried debugging with Safari. When trying to connect to one of the
aforementioned devices:
> WebSocket network error: The operation couldn't be completed. (OSStatus
> error-9807).

When trying to connect to VNC on a Windows PC... no errors, connects,
perfect.

Re: Some VNC devices not rendering on IOS

tako
Just an FYI, I read something online about how that error comes up when
you're using self-signed vs not-self-signed or insecure certs...but it still
doesn't make sense that it's only happening for specific VNC connections on
iOS. I'd be glad to assist in debugging this in any way possible.

Re: Some VNC devices not rendering on IOS

tako
Is there anything I can look into to debug or troubleshoot this?