Some info for a newbie

WhiteTiger-2
I'm new with Guacamole.
I'm already reading the manual but I need some information to get started.
I have to connect my PC to different remote PCs located in different
locations.
There are PC and server both Windows and Linux.
Obviously, each location has a different public IP and an internal PC
network behind a router/firewall.
I currently use TeamViewer (Pro License).

1) Do I need to install a Guacamole server in each location or can I install
only one "general server"?
2) From my PC, via browser can I connect to how many remote PCs?
3) How much memory do I have to provide for the Guacamole server?
4) How much memory for each connection?
5) Can I install Guacamole on a Raspberry Pi 3/4 dedicated exclusively to
this service?

Furthermore, with TeamViewer I can see which PCs are active and if necessary
turn them on via WOL. TeamViewer uses one of the other active PCs to launch
the Magic Packet.
I suppose this is no longer possible with Guacamole.
6) So, do you have any suggestions for an alternative?

Thanks in advance.
WT

Re: Some info for a newbie

ivanmarcus

Hi,

Re your questions, this is my view:

(1) A separate instance per site would be the best, and what everyone would recommend. I suppose you could use a central instance and provide sufficient routes to each individual PC but I expect it would be much slower from a user perspective, and less secure - altogether a bad idea.

(2) If I understand your question I'd say you could connect to as many PC's as your browser and machine memory would allow. I regularly run several hundred tabs in Firefox, it would make little difference whether they were all connections to Guacamole, or any random website.

(3) I have 60+ [possible] users installed on a VM with 2Gb RAM. They do not all work at the same time however, I think there's typically no more than 10 concurrent users and it works fine. I think I upped it from 1Gb RAM a while ago because I thought it was getting a bit close, but it did work ok with that when there were less users.

(4) I'm not sure, I seem to recollect Mike or Nick may have made some calculation/suggestion around this - perhaps you could search the archives to see? If not I expect someone will respond.

(5) I can't speak from experience myself but I undertand there are people that have had success with a Pi. I've tended to use a VM because, amongst other things, it's easilyreplicable across sites and I have spare machines there (including machines that people also work on at the same time). That said I'd not hesitate to use a Pi, particularly a 4/4 if you anticipated a few concurrent users.

(6) A while ago I wrote a small Python script that runs with Guacamole and sends out the necessary magic packet. In the site I have this running on it has worked well. Once again the detail on that is in the archives here: http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/guacamole-user/201802.mbox/%3C1519671051084-0.post@...%3E Having said that I believe Nick was working on a 'proper' WOL extension for Guacamole at one stage. This may integrate with the GUI, allowing one to set the MAC address in the connection page, although that's purely my speculation! Nick may update us on this?

On 11/12/2019 4:40 a.m., WhiteTiger wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the reply.
I am also used to installing services behind the firewall of remote offices.
But I often find myself in the need to connect offices with a few PCs, from
2 to 5, and it is not always possible to mount a dedicated PC or even a
Raspberry.
This is why I imagined a central server that would allow connections in this
way:
PC 1-1 = IP1: Port 6901
PC 1-2 = IP1: Port 6902
PC 2-1 = IP2: Port 6901
PC N-1 = IP "N": Port 6901

Obviously the local firewall addressed the traffic coming from the IP of the
Guacamole Server to the various PCs using the ports as a reference.

About your answer on WOL, I find it useless if the Guacamole server is
behind the firewall because I could very well take control of the server and
from there send the Magic Packet using one of the many Linux utilities.
The situation would be different if the server is centralized, but there
would always be the problem of how to send the Magic Packet to the various
networks via the Internet.

Team Viewer uses the other PCs in the network.
First I identify in the configuration the various PCs and when I want to
turn on the PC number 5, for example, TeamViewer goes to see if there is
another PC active and sends the Magic Packet from this to the number 5.
I don't know how to do it, I never investigated it.
However, this is convenient because if I have to connect to a PC that is
turned off, I don't have to make another remote connection just to turn it
on.
Maybe there's another utility in Linux

ivanmarcus wrote

> (1) A separate instance per site would be the best, and what everyone
> would recommend. I suppose you could use a central instance and provide
> sufficient routes to each individual PC but I expect it would be much
> slower from a user perspective, and less secure - altogether a bad idea.

> (6) A while ago I wrote a small Python script that runs with Guacamole
> and sends out the necessary magic packet. In the site I have this
> running on it has worked well. Once again the detail on that is in the
> archives here:

> 3C1519671051084-0.post@.nabble

> %3E
> Having said that I believe Nick was working on a 'proper' WOL extension
> for Guacamole at one stage. This may integrate with the GUI, allowing
> one to set the MAC address in the connection page, although that's
> purely my speculation! Nick may update us on this?

Re: Some info for a newbie

ivanmarcus

If I understand your use case I guess you'd need

(1) a TSR prog running on each PC behind the router/firewall

(2) have the TSR remotely interrogable

(3) have the TSR send the magic packet to whichever local machine the interrogation commanded

Presumably this is something Teamview does; in my infrequent interactions with it I seem to recall it loads a TSR if not told otherwise.

I recollect that Mike thought there was a use case for Guacamole to do something similar to Teamviewer. This would be excellent in my view (Guacamole being open, and amongst other things the Teamviewer license model/cost is 'difficult' for very low and/or intermittent commercial use), but I expect it would require a similar small TSR of some sort to operate. While there are other things it would need to do I guess this magic packet functionality could be included...

Obviously this would require some work and while I like to help sadly I'm no programmer - therefore it would need to wait till whenever someone with the necessary skills is able to do this.

In the interim, if it were me, I'd guess I'd consider assigning one machine in each remote as a 'server', which doesn't have WOL enabled, and run a small permanent [Linux] VM effectively as a TSR that would allow you to interrogate and command a magic packet to whichever [other] machine you want to turn on.

In effect this is what I do in one office with Guacamole running as a permanent VM on a M$ box that is also used as a standard client machine. This VM allows remote access to the host and other PC's in that office. Should the host machine be turned off Vbox just runs on start, and loads the Guacamole VM in the background - in your case you'd not require Guacamole, just a very minimal Linux install. It's a little clunky but it could work?

On 12/12/2019 12:30 a.m., WhiteTiger wrote:
[...]

<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/guacamole-user/201802.mbox/%">http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/guacamole-user/201802.mbox/%

[hidden email]