What files would I have to alter to add an About page to guacamole?

What files would I have to alter to add an About page to guacamole?

Victor Norman
Friends,

What files would I have to change to add a link to a separate About page to the main Guacamole page?  And, what files would I have to add to make it work?

Would I really need to create a whole set of pages in guacamole-client/guacamole/src/main/webapp/app/about/... ?

Do I have to change something in navigation/services to make it so users have permission to go to that page?

Thanks!

Prof. Victor Norman
Computer Science
Calvin College University
-----
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." -- Antoine de Saint Exupéry

AW: What files would I have to alter to add an About page to guacamole?

Joachim Lindenberg

Hello Victor,

I used the extension mechanism to add links to pages and to exchange the logo. Do you want to add or reference a page?

Best Regards,

Joachim

Re: What files would I have to alter to add an About page to guacamole?

Victor Norman
Joachim, et al.,

Thanks for your response. Looking at that other thread helped me understand some stuff.

But, I definitely need to add a new link on the login page to another page, which I will supply.

Do you think this can be done with only an extension, and not changing the "core" code?

I used the extension mechanism to add links to pages and to exchange the logo. Do you want to add or reference a page?

Best Regards,

Joachim

AW: What files would I have to alter to add an About page to guacamole?

Joachim Lindenberg

Hi Victor,

my login page looks the following (German):

Only extensions (actually two), no modification. The links all point to other websites.

Best Regards, Joachim

On Tue, Jun 30, 2020 at 9:03 AM Victor Norman <[hidden email]> wrote:
Joachim, et al.,

Thanks for your response. Looking at that other thread helped me understand some stuff.

But, I definitely need to add a new link on the login page to another page, which I will supply.

Do you think this can be done with only an extension, and not changing the "core" code?

You could definitely do it by modifying the core code, if you wanted to; however, you would need to modify the source code and rebuild the WAR file to make sure that your changes are not wiped out every time Tomcat restarts or you upgrade Guacamole.  Changing files directly in the deployed version of the code is a bad idea.  If you go this route, you also have to make sure that you merge changes in with the code as Guacamole updates, so you'd probably want to create a fork of the Apache repo on github and then make your changes in a specific branch, which you could then rebase as the Guacamole code changes.

An extension is the best way to make changes.  It allows you to move the core code from version to version without worrying about whether the customizations will still be there, and the code provides for allowing you to insert arbitrary HTML into various points in the interface.  There is documentation here:

Beyond this you could get a lot fancier and do something like add an option to the user menu or the Settings page.  This would require writing some AngularJS code that would update various data structures that track the menu items and pages available to the users, but should be doable.

Re: What files would I have to alter to add an About page to guacamole?

Nick Couchman
On Tue, Jun 30, 2020 at 12:11 PM Guilherme Carvalho <[hidden email]> wrote:
Is there a way to use a bigger logo on the login page?

Yes, you can override the style of the logo or any other components of the login page using CSS.

-Nick

(BTW, please be careful about "hijacking" threads for unrelated questions or discussions - this one is somewhat related, but in the future it is probably best to open a new thread on the list with your question.)