how to customize login page and site label

123

how to customize login page and site label

dan-2
I can't find any docs on how to change the site label and login pages
in the current 9.13.  Changes made in the translation pages don't seem
to do anything.

Thanks.

Re: how to customize login page and site label

vnick
dan-2 wrote
> I can't find any docs on how to change the site label and login pages
> in the current 9.13.  Changes made in the translation pages don't seem
> to do anything.
>
> Thanks.

What files, specifically, are you changing?

There's currently not an easy way to make these changes - you'd have to
check out the source files, make the necessary changes, there, and then
rebuild and deploy the WAR file.

Sent from: http://apache-guacamole-incubating-users.2363388.n4.nabble.com/

Re: how to customize login page and site label

dan-2
specifically just want to change the login page text and the text in
the titlebar of the browser, replacing 'Apache Guacamole' with 'Remote
Access Center' to brand it a bit.

On Tue, Sep 12, 2017 at 7:20 AM, vnick <[hidden email]> wrote:

> dan-2 wrote
>> I can't find any docs on how to change the site label and login pages
>> in the current 9.13.  Changes made in the translation pages don't seem
>> to do anything.
>>
>> Thanks.
>
> What files, specifically, are you changing?
>
> There's currently not an easy way to make these changes - you'd have to
> check out the source files, make the necessary changes, there, and then
> rebuild and deploy the WAR file.
>
> -Nick

> Sent from: http://apache-guacamole-incubating-users.2363388.n4.nabble.com/

Re: how to customize login page and site label

vnick
dan-2 wrote
> specifically just want to change the login page text and the text in
> the titlebar of the browser, replacing 'Apache Guacamole' with 'Remote
> Access Center' to brand it a bit.

Yes, I understand what you're trying to accomplish - I'm asking you what
files you tried changing that you said did not work, and how you tested it -
did you try changing certain files in the deployed version of the Guacamole
code?  Did you try changing files in the source and rebuilding?  And, which
files, specifically, did you change?

Sent from: http://apache-guacamole-incubating-users.2363388.n4.nabble.com/

Re: how to customize login page and site label

dan-2
well, my issue is that I'm a novice with tomcat and war files.  I have
the guacamole source in a folder, I edited the en.json there and
restarted tomcat, but I'm realizing that I need to package that folder
into the war file.

On Tue, Sep 12, 2017 at 7:28 AM, vnick <[hidden email]> wrote:

> dan-2 wrote
>> specifically just want to change the login page text and the text in
>> the titlebar of the browser, replacing 'Apache Guacamole' with 'Remote
>> Access Center' to brand it a bit.
>
> Yes, I understand what you're trying to accomplish - I'm asking you what
> files you tried changing that you said did not work, and how you tested it -
> did you try changing certain files in the deployed version of the Guacamole
> code?  Did you try changing files in the source and rebuilding?  And, which
> files, specifically, did you change?
>
> -Nick

> Sent from: http://apache-guacamole-incubating-users.2363388.n4.nabble.com/

Re: how to customize login page and site label

Евгений Н. Жуков
Try to fix en.json in tomcat directory not in source.

+79534155676, (83145)94800
ICQ: 52108310 skype: xrt_nn

Re: how to customize login page and site label

dan-2 wrote
> well, my issue is that I'm a novice with tomcat and war files.  I have
> the guacamole source in a folder, I edited the en.json there and
> restarted tomcat, but I'm realizing that I need to package that folder
> into the war file.

That's fine - we're happy to help you figure out how to accomplish this.

If you have the source, then you need to edit it and then rebuild it.  This
is pretty simple, just requires that you have Maven and JDK installed on
your system, so after you make the changes to the source you go to the
top-level directory and type "mvn package" which rebuilds everything.  Then
you can grab the resulting WAR file from the guacamole/target directory and
deploy that.  You can find more detailed instructions on this process in the
manual:

http://guacamole.incubator.apache.org/doc/gug/installing-guacamole.html#building-guacamole-client

Sent from: http://apache-guacamole-incubating-users.2363388.n4.nabble.com/

Re: how to customize login page and site label

Евгений Н. Жуков wrote
> Try to fix en.json in tomcat directory not in source.

You can do this, and it does work to try things out, but I recommend against
this as a long-term solution.  There are specific circumstances that will
trigger Tomcat to re-deploy the web application from the WAR file, and if
you make the changes only in the deployed web application
(webapps/guacamole/), and not in the WAR file, you will lose your changes.

Sent from: http://apache-guacamole-incubating-users.2363388.n4.nabble.com/

Re: how to customize login page and site label

Евгений Н. Жуков
The best is fix translation file, images and html in source and redeploy WAR?

Евгений Н. Жуков wrote

+79534155676, (83145)94800
ICQ: 52108310 skype: xrt_nn

Re: how to customize login page and site label

vnick
Евгений Н. Жуков wrote
> The best is fix translation file, images and html in source and redeploy
> WAR?

In my experience, making sure that the changes you make are in the WAR file
is the only reliable way to ensure that the web application always contains
your changes and that those changes are never overwritten with other files.
This requires a little bit of extra work to get the source, Maven, and JDK,
and rebuild everything, but it's worth it to have a WAR file that contains
your changes and that you can redeploy and deploy to multiple systems
without having to make the same changes over and over again.

This is my opinion, based purely on my past experiences deploying web
applications in Java servers, so do what works for you - just beware that if
your guacamole.war file gets touched by some process (a backup, another
admin, etc.), or you go to upgrade to the next version that comes out, you
risk overwriting those changes, and, at the very least, having to copy the
changes back over every time the web application gets redeployed.

On Tue, Sep 12, 2017 at 6:20 AM, vnick <[hidden email]> wrote:

> dan-2 wrote
>> I can't find any docs on how to change the site label and login pages
>> in the current 9.13.  Changes made in the translation pages don't seem
>> to do anything.
>>
>> Thanks.
>
> What files, specifically, are you changing?
>
> There's currently not an easy way to make these changes ...

On the contrary!

Please see the Guacamole extension format:
http://guacamole.incubator.apache.org/doc/gug/guacamole-ext.html#ext-file-format

All user-visible text within Guacamole has a corresponding translation
string, which can be overridden by providing a new string for that
same translation key within your extension. The content of the various
HTML templates can also be overridden/augmented using
specially-formatted HTML snippets.

It shouldn't be necessary to patch the web application source, unless
the intent is to fork the source to produce your own application which
you will maintain independently of mainline. The idea behind the
extension subsystem is to allow such changes to Guacamole to remain
stable and independent.

Re: how to customize login page and site label

vnick
Mike Jumper wrote
> On Tue, Sep 12, 2017 at 6:20 AM, vnick &lt;

> vnick@

> &gt; wrote:
>> dan-2 wrote
>>> I can't find any docs on how to change the site label and login pages
>>> in the current 9.13.  Changes made in the translation pages don't seem
>>> to do anything.
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>
>> What files, specifically, are you changing?
>>
>> There's currently not an easy way to make these changes ...
>
> On the contrary!
>
> Please see the Guacamole extension format:
> http://guacamole.incubator.apache.org/doc/gug/guacamole-ext.html#ext-file-format

Oops...sorry for the mis-information!  Obviously this is much easier than
modifying source code and having to worry about having your changes
overriden in the Tomcat web application directory!

Sent from: http://apache-guacamole-incubating-users.2363388.n4.nabble.com/

Re: how to customize login page and site label

dan-2
Mike, can you offer a little help?

I'm reading this that I need to create a guac-manifest.json that
contains a couple minimal items.  zip that and rename to .jar, put in
/etc/guacamole/extensions/, restart guac

Does that sound right?

If so, I don't have a clue what to do for changing the page name.  I
see in the page source of the rendered page that the title is set, but
when I look into those files the text isn't there.

<title ng-bind="page.title | translate" class="ng-binding">Apache
Guacamole</title>

thanks

On Tue, Sep 12, 2017 at 12:16 PM, vnick <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Mike Jumper wrote
>> On Tue, Sep 12, 2017 at 6:20 AM, vnick &lt;
>
>> vnick@
>
>> &gt; wrote:
>>> dan-2 wrote

>>> What files, specifically, are you changing?
>>>
>>> There's currently not an easy way to make these changes ...
>>
>> On the contrary!
>>
>> Please see the Guacamole extension format:
>> http://guacamole.incubator.apache.org/doc/gug/guacamole-ext.html#ext-file-format
>
> Oops...sorry for the mis-information!  Obviously this is much easier than
> modifying source code and having to worry about having your changes
> overriden in the Tomcat web application directory!
>
> -Nick

> Sent from: http://apache-guacamole-incubating-users.2363388.n4.nabble.com/

Re: how to customize login page and site label

rhawkins
If you look through the site you will find the info you need.  I have helped
several people with this.

Sent from: http://apache-guacamole-incubating-users.2363388.n4.nabble.com/

Re: how to customize login page and site label

dan-2
I thought I dug thoroughly, I did find the page Mike linked to above
but I'm still missing how to do this...

rhawkins

Re: how to customize login page and site label

dan-2
thanks, I'll take a swing at that.  I didn't look through the posts,
only through the docs.

On Mon, Sep 18, 2017 at 9:11 AM, rhawkins
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> http://apache-guacamole-incubating-users.2363388.n4.nabble.com/Branding-the-login-page-td281.html

> Sent from: http://apache-guacamole-incubating-users.2363388.n4.nabble.com/

Re: how to customize login page and site label

dan-2
how do I find the real guac home directory? I have a
/etc/guacamole/extensions, I dropped a file in that is basically
cut'n'paste from the example, zipped it up with 'zip -r
customtheme.jar *' and reloaded tomcat.  no changes.

On Mon, Sep 18, 2017 at 9:12 AM, dan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> thanks, I'll take a swing at that.  I didn't look through the posts,
> only through the docs.
>

> On Mon, Sep 18, 2017 at 9:11 AM, rhawkins
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> http://apache-guacamole-incubating-users.2363388.n4.nabble.com/Branding-the-login-page-td281.html

>> Sent from: http://apache-guacamole-incubating-users.2363388.n4.nabble.com/

Re: how to customize login page and site label

Mike Jumper
On Mon, Sep 18, 2017 at 8:32 AM, dan <[hidden email]> wrote:
how do I find the real guac home directory? I have a
/etc/guacamole/extensions, I dropped a file in that is basically
cut'n'paste from the example, zipped it up with 'zip -r
customtheme.jar *' and reloaded tomcat.  no changes.

For all current releases of Guacamole, /etc/guacamole will not be used unless you have taken explicit steps to override the default search locations for GUACAMOLE_HOME. This has changed recently, but that change is not yet in a release:

The default search locations, in order of priority, are defined in the manual:

The easiest option is to simply create a ".guacamole" directory within the home directory of the tomcat user. Which user that actually is will depend on how you've installed Tomcat, but assuming you installed Tomcat via your distribution's packages, there will likely be a user defined specifically for that service, and the home directory will be visible within /etc/passwd.

Once you believe you have your extension in the right location, be sure to check the Tomcat logs if things still aren't working. Guacamole will log its attempts to load extensions, including any failures due to the extension not following the correct format. If those messages don't provide enough information, you can also enable debug-level logging:

Re: how to customize login page and site label

dan-2
ok, here is what I've got, can't figure out why it isn't applying:

in guac-manifest.json
{
  "guacamoleVersion" : "*",
  "name" : "xyz",
  "namespace" : "xyz",

  "translations" : [
  "translations/en.json"
 ]
}

in translations/en.json

    {
        "APP" : {
            "NAME" : "XYZ APP",
        }
    }

in the root where guac-manifest.json is located.
zip -r xyz.jar *

move that to
/usr/share/tomcat8/.guacamole/extensions/
which is linked to
/etc/guacamole

reload tomcat
INFO  o.a.g.extension.ExtensionModule - Extension "xyz" loaded.

but no change to the app name.

what am I missing?

On Mon, Sep 18, 2017 at 11:33 AM, Mike Jumper <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 18, 2017 at 8:32 AM, dan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> how do I find the real guac home directory? I have a
>> /etc/guacamole/extensions, I dropped a file in that is basically
>> cut'n'paste from the example, zipped it up with 'zip -r
>> customtheme.jar *' and reloaded tomcat.  no changes.
>>

> For all current releases of Guacamole, /etc/guacamole will not be used
> unless you have taken explicit steps to override the default search
> locations for GUACAMOLE_HOME. This has changed recently, but that change is
> not yet in a release:
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GUACAMOLE-335
>
> The default search locations, in order of priority, are defined in the
> manual:
>
> http://guacamole.incubator.apache.org/doc/gug/configuring-guacamole.html#guacamole-home
>
> The easiest option is to simply create a ".guacamole" directory within the
> home directory of the tomcat user. Which user that actually is will depend
> on how you've installed Tomcat, but assuming you installed Tomcat via your
> distribution's packages, there will likely be a user defined specifically
> for that service, and the home directory will be visible within /etc/passwd.
>
> Once you believe you have your extension in the right location, be sure to
> check the Tomcat logs if things still aren't working. Guacamole will log its
> attempts to load extensions, including any failures due to the extension not
> following the correct format. If those messages don't provide enough
> information, you can also enable debug-level logging:
>
> http://guacamole.incubator.apache.org/doc/gug/configuring-guacamole.html#webapp-logging
>
> - Mike

123