tracking down a tomcat 500 error

Ryan Underwood

I am running guacamole via docker on win10 pro. I’m using Mysql, guacamole and guacd and all appear to be running as intended.  I get a 500 error when I hit the home page. Localhost access log shows all the GETs work and a PUT failed (172.17.0.1 - - [04/Oct/2017:03:27:52 +0000] "POST /guacamole/api/tokens HTTP/1.1" 500 185).  Any ideas where I should be looking to narrow this down or get more info?  Catalina error seems to be in non-guacamole classes so not sure where to go next.

-Ryan

Catalina:

04-Oct-2017 03:13:40.242 SEVERE [http-nio-8080-exec-8] com.sun.jersey.spi.container.ContainerResponse.logException Mapped exception to response: 500 (Internal Server Error)

org.apache.guacamole.rest.APIException

        at org.apache.guacamole.rest.RESTExceptionWrapper.invoke(RESTExceptionWrapper.java:202)

        at com.sun.jersey.spi.container.JavaMethodInvokerFactory$1.invoke(JavaMethodInvokerFactory.java:60)

        at com.sun.jersey.server.impl.model.method.dispatch.AbstractResourceMethodDispatchProvider$TypeOutInvoker._dispatch(AbstractResourceMethodDispatchProvider.java:185)

        at com.sun.jersey.server.impl.model.method.dispatch.ResourceJavaMethodDispatcher.dispatch(ResourceJavaMethodDispatcher.java:75)

        at com.sun.jersey.server.impl.uri.rules.HttpMethodRule.accept(HttpMethodRule.java:302)

        at com.sun.jersey.server.impl.uri.rules.ResourceClassRule.accept(ResourceClassRule.java:108)

        at com.sun.jersey.server.impl.uri.rules.RightHandPathRule.accept(RightHandPathRule.java:147)

        at com.sun.jersey.server.impl.uri.rules.RootResourceClassesRule.accept(RootResourceClassesRule.java:84)

        at com.sun.jersey.server.impl.application.WebApplicationImpl._handleRequest(WebApplicationImpl.java:1511)

        at com.sun.jersey.server.impl.application.WebApplicationImpl._handleRequest(WebApplicationImpl.java:1442)

        at com.sun.jersey.server.impl.application.WebApplicationImpl.handleRequest(WebApplicationImpl.java:1391)

        at com.sun.jersey.server.impl.application.WebApplicationImpl.handleRequest(WebApplicationImpl.java:1381)

        at com.sun.jersey.spi.container.servlet.WebComponent.service(WebComponent.java:416)

        at com.sun.jersey.spi.container.servlet.ServletContainer.service(ServletContainer.java:538)

        at com.sun.jersey.spi.container.servlet.ServletContainer.service(ServletContainer.java:716)

        at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:725)

        at com.google.inject.servlet.ServletDefinition.doService(ServletDefinition.java:263)

       at com.google.inject.servlet.ServletDefinition.service(ServletDefinition.java:178)

        at com.google.inject.servlet.ManagedServletPipeline.service(ManagedServletPipeline.java:91)

        at com.google.inject.servlet.FilterChainInvocation.doFilter(FilterChainInvocation.java:62)

        at com.google.inject.servlet.ManagedFilterPipeline.dispatch(ManagedFilterPipeline.java:118)

        at com.google.inject.servlet.GuiceFilter.doFilter(GuiceFilter.java:113)

        at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:239)

        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:219)

        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:106)

        at org.apache.catalina.authenticator.AuthenticatorBase.invoke(AuthenticatorBase.java:501)

        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:142)

        at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:79)

        at org.apache.catalina.valves.AbstractAccessLogValve.invoke(AbstractAccessLogValve.java:610)

        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:88)

        at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:516)

        at org.apache.coyote.http11.AbstractHttp11Processor.process(AbstractHttp11Processor.java:1086)

        at org.apache.coyote.AbstractProtocol$AbstractConnectionHandler.process(AbstractProtocol.java:659)

        at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11NioProtocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.process(Http11NioProtocol.java:223)

        at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.NioEndpoint$SocketProcessor.doRun(NioEndpoint.java:1558)

        at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.NioEndpoint$SocketProcessor.run(NioEndpoint.java:1515)

        at org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.TaskThread$WrappingRunnable.run(TaskThread.java:61)

        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)

Re: tracking down a tomcat 500 error

Mike Jumper
On Tue, Oct 3, 2017 at 8:42 PM, Ryan Underwood <[hidden email]> wrote:

I am running guacamole via docker on win10 pro. I’m using Mysql, guacamole and guacd and all appear to be running as intended.  I get a 500 error when I hit the home page. Localhost access log shows all the GETs work

Those GETs are probably to static files, and thus aren't hitting the component which is failing.

and a PUT failed (172.17.0.1 - - [04/Oct/2017:03:27:52 +0000]

There shouldn't be a PUT occurring prior to login. What URL is that PUT request for?

"POST /guacamole/api/tokens HTTP/1.1" 500 185).  Any ideas where I should be looking to narrow this down or get more info?

".../api/tokens" is the URL of the REST endpoint used for handling authentication. Given the description of your setup, the MySQL portion of things is most likely misconfigured (somehow). Once we find the proper log, things should clear up.

  Catalina error seems to be in non-guacamole classes so not sure where to go next.

-Ryan

Catalina:

04-Oct-2017 03:13:40.242 SEVERE [http-nio-8080-exec-8] com.sun.jersey.spi.container.ContainerResponse.logException Mapped exception to response: 500 (Internal Server Error)

org.apache.guacamole.rest.APIException

        at org.apache.guacamole.rest.RESTExceptionWrapper.invoke(RESTExceptionWrapper.java:202)

What log file is this from specifically?

RE: tracking down a tomcat 500 error

Ryan Underwood
Thanks Mike.
I typed PUT but meant POST, as it shows below, to POST /guacamole/api/tokens.
The larger log excerpt I pasted is catalina.out from tomcat. I'll investigate the MySQL side and jdbc connection.
-Ryan

Sent from my Android phone using TouchDown (www.symantec.com)

RE: tracking down a tomcat 500 error

Ryan Underwood

Docker on win10 pro does, and that was a good idea.  I had the password environment variable wrong and saw the access denied for the user in the mysql logs.  Thanks for the quick responses!

RE: tracking down a tomcat 500 error

Ryan Underwood

I thought I was there but think I have a problem with guacamole connecting to guacd.  From each of the containers I can ping the other so the network connectivity within docker _seems_ OK.  Here’s what I have when I attempt to connect to a connection that I setup through the GUI:

01:42:10.038 [http-nio-8080-exec-1] ERROR o.a.g.w.GuacamoleWebSocketTunnelEndpoint - Creation of WebSocket tunnel to guacd failed: java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused (Connection refused)

01:42:10.108 [http-nio-8080-exec-7] ERROR o.a.g.s.GuacamoleHTTPTunnelServlet - HTTP tunnel request failed: java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused (Connection refused)

Any tips on this one?  I saw an error like this in the board history but the person said they didn’t have guacd running.  I know it’s running but perhaps there’s a connectivity issue…

Thank you

-Ryan

Docker on win10 pro does, and that was a good idea.  I had the password environment variable wrong and saw the access denied for the user in the mysql logs.  Thanks for the quick responses!

RE: tracking down a tomcat 500 error

Ryan Underwood

Anyone have ideas on the below?  I get the same error when guacd is running or when it’s not.  I’ve tried it with docker link (deprecated) and putting all the containers on a docker network.  No matter what, tomcat gives me the connection refused error. I tried it with RDP and random other protocols just to see if I could generate a different warning.

I can telnet to $GUACD_HOST 4802 from the guacamole server and see the guacd error about the protocol in the logs.  I’ve disabled windows firewall, disabled antivirus, tried it on public and private networks and am just flat out of ideas.

01:42:10.038 [http-nio-8080-exec-1] ERROR o.a.g.w.GuacamoleWebSocketTunnelEndpoint - Creation of WebSocket tunnel to guacd failed: java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused (Connection refused)

01:42:10.108 [http-nio-8080-exec-7] ERROR o.a.g.s.GuacamoleHTTPTunnelServlet - HTTP tunnel request failed: java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused (Connection refused)

Thank you

Docker on win10 pro does, and that was a good idea.  I had the password environment variable wrong and saw the access denied for the user in the mysql logs.  Thanks for the quick responses!

Re: tracking down a tomcat 500 error

Jake Staub
Good morning,

See attached for a docker-compose file that runs Guacamole 0.9.13 successfully in the following environment:
  1. Docker host = Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS
  2. Docker engine = 17.06.2-ce
  3. Docker compose = 1.13.0.

A note about the attached docker-compose file:

From what I understand about Docker networking, 'network_mode: "bridge"' places docker-compose initiated containers on the default bridge network which is handy if you want them to interact with containers that were not initiated with docker-compose.

For example, if you use a common database container initiated via typical docker command line instructions it would reside on the default "bridge" network. To place your Guacamole containers on the bridge network such that the common database container is accessible, 'network_mode: "bridge"' would be used.

Regards,
Jake

On 10/5/2017 2:42 PM, Ryan Underwood wrote:

[...]

docker-compose.yml (730 bytes) Download Attachment